Zoa Care Questions

yellowmach

Experts, I need some guidance...
What kind of lights do Zoas need? I currently have the stock lights on my Biocube (36w actinics + 36w fluorescents). Where should they be positioned? Are they going to like the bottom, like my ricordeas, or should they be more in the middle/ top? Do they like hi flow (I could put the near the flow of my koralia) or low flow (my live rock is arranged into one huge cave, so there are plenty of both hi and low light spots with easy low flow). Lastly, I want to do many frags around the aquarium. How invasive are zoas, because I want patches of growth, but not a hostile takeover. Sorry for all the questions, but I like to be prepared before I spend my money (I'm a semi-broke college kid) LoL... Thanks guys!

codylowe

It all really depends on what type of zoa/paly it is. Some like low light, some like high light. Some like low flow, some high.
As for growth, this depends on a lot of things also... The lighting, feeding, flow, etc... However, some zoas grow extremely slow no matter what.
I switch them around in my tank all the time to see where they do the best at. This takes time though.
Some of mine like the low light/low flow of my stock nano tank, but others require my 150w MH on my 20g or my 2x250w MH in my 110g, both with higher flow rates.
I know this doesn't help much, but post the specific kinds of zoas/palys you are looking for and maybe i can help out more.

yellowmach

Originally Posted by codylowe
http:///forum/post/2615689
It all really depends on what type of zoa/paly it is. Some like low light, some like high light. Some like low flow, some high.
As for growth, this depends on a lot of things also... The lighting, feeding, flow, etc... However, some zoas grow extremely slow no matter what.
I switch them around in my tank all the time to see where they do the best at. This takes time though.
Some of mine like the low light/low flow of my stock nano tank, but others require my 150w MH on my 20g or my 2x250w MH in my 110g, both with higher flow rates.
I know this doesn't help much, but post the specific kinds of zoas/palys you are looking for and maybe i can help out more.
Thanks for the reply. The ones I am looking at are called Satans Breath, Neon Kryptonite and Morning Blossom. I have links to all of them, but they are on E-bay and I dont want to get in trouble for posting them. Satans breath is by far the one I am most interested in...