Zoas closed all of the sudden?

djleder

Hi!
My zoa's have been closed for about 2 weeks now(I have had them for about a month) they were opening up just fine, but now only 2-3 are opening.I had them directly under the light and I moved them a bit lower and changed the flow too. What could have caused this? All my other coral and my six line wrasse is just fine.
Thanks

djleder

Hi!
Thanks for the quick reply,
I do not have all the test kits just the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph testkits, but I will run to the store and pick up some.
Could it also be my Six-line wrasse I see him sometime nipping at this particular zoa colony, but not the other. Could this be another reason? Also why could my Alk, change all of the sudden?
Thanks

djleder

Hi!
The six line wrasse has not been fed as much as it was, as it was not under my care. Could it be possible it got hungry and decided to munch on my zoas?
Thanks

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djleder http:///t/393518/zoas-closed-all-of-the-sudden#post_3501377
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply, I do not have all the test kits just the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph testkits, but I will run to the store and pick up some. Could it also be my Six-line wrasse I see him sometime nipping at this particular zoa colony, but not the other. Could this be another reason? Also why could my Alk, change all of the sudden? Thanks
Alk doesn't often change suddenly but there is a threshold below which coral can no longer create Calcium carbonate. When ALK falls below that level the sclerites actually begin to dissolve and corals will close up (and begin to die). The critical level depends on many factors, mostly water temp, magnesium, calcium, and PH. So, a drop in temp can turn an ALK level that is on the edge to critically low for example.

djleder

This does make sense, as it is getting colder here I am starting to think my heater might have broke on me so I might get a new one, the temp of the water is about 74 -75 F I will run to the store and grab these two things. Could you recommend a heater and a alk test kit perhaps?
Thanks,

bang guy

I personally prefer Salifert but most hobby level ALK tests are excellent.
I like Titanium heaters because I'm absent minded (stories for another thread). I prefer at least two smaller heaters vs one large one.

djleder

Well this is not good, I had the tank sitting at around 72 because my stealth heater broke I put the new one in and I am slowly increasing it. It is at 76 now. The bad thing is that I can not find a alk test kit anywhere ; /

djleder

Got the heater in the water, the colony that has not been opening is showing some progress, today more zoas opened up! Also been feeding my wrasse more so I wonder which one? : P