Zoas growing on the wall?

• Thread starter childress5tyler
  • Start date
C

childress5tyler

Has anybody been able to sucessfully grow zoas or palys on the walls of their aquarium? If so, any advice on how to do it? thanks

btldreef

I've had it happen, mainly on accident. I had a rock covered in zoanthids leaning against my back wall and slowly the started to creep up the wall.
I've glued palys onto the wall a few times and had luck with them growing as well. I've definitely noticed that zoanthids and palys grew slower for me on the tank glass than on live rock.

C

childress5tyler

i think it would be awesome to have a wall covered in different zoas and palys..i wanna work on that

C

childress5tyler

is it true that iodine is the best additive for zoa growth? anybody want to chime in?

btldreef

I'm not a fan of dosing iodine. A good quality salt nix combined with regular water changes should be enough iodine for zoanthids. Dosing iodine can be dangerous, there is a fine line as to how much can be used. Too much (and it doesn't take much) and you'll kill inverts and corals.

C

childress5tyler

I've heard that...right no i use the 2 part b-ionic calcium and alkalinity solution along with a magnesion magnesium additive