Zombie coral

I have an old coral that I'm not sure what it use to be. Was in the tank already when I took it over. I believed it was dead. Completely covered in algae all over and really dirty. I thought the white skeleton underneath would look nice in the tank. So I just ran the whole thing under really hot water to clean of the dirt and algae for like 5 minutes. I placed it in the tank and all the algae died. I noticed after a few days its starting to change from completely white to red starting from the very bottom at first but now around the branches and tips. Could it becoming back to life or is just something else taking over the skeleton now?

Attachments

Thanks for the reply. Looked up cyanbateria but not sure. It not hairy and does blow off easy. I was worried because I have some other red patches growing on my live rock. But all feels smooth more like paint. So not sure if it's the same thing but could be. Uploaded some pics.

snakeblitz33

Smooth red patches are cyanobateria colonies.

You have a water quality problem. Increase filtration, use pure/filtered top off water, eliminate dead spots with an extra powerhead, and you may ultimately have to treat the tank with an antibiotic and a 50% water change.

Have fun!