Zoo help

coralman05

so I've recently had a phoshate problem and I'm wondering how long until i will be some seeing improvement... I also cant tell if i have algae on the colony or maybe a canyos problem>?

S

saxman

How long has the tank been running?
What kind of snails do you have, how long have you had them, and what temp are you running your tank at?

1guydude

+1 we need more info on ur tank and equipment and stats in order to give a estimated hypthesis!
<LOL

1guydude

well is it a turbo snail or asteria...those or a narrius snail lol all those are kinda the norm imo....
i really like the smaller round ones which could be just adolescent turbos but idk!
Asterias have the turban type tall shells....narris have trunks which are their noses...commonly called elephant snails....the turbos can get big and they have rounder shells! LOL lots of snails out their!
Hows ur zoos? I thought u needed help with that!

S

saxman

Take a look here and see if you can ID your snails:
http://www.lionfishlair.com/cuc/cuc.shtml
One thing that suggests Astrea is the fact that you mentioned that they seem to be upside down a lot, as these snails can't right themselves if they fall off the tank panels or rockwork.

coralman05

yeah i really do need zoo help.. i dont think mine are going to take the come back around though:/ and there turbos

S

saxman

IME, turbos can be touchy, esp. if you keep tank on the warmer side (many come from cooler waters off Mexico). However, if you get "good" specimens, they get huge (we're talking golf ball size easily) and will live a super long time. There is a Turbo from the Caribbean that is smaller and has a pretty orange shell that does much better if you can find them, but they're kinda rare.
What you need to do is pick the snails up and give them a sniff...you'll know if they're dead really quick. Also, their operculum will typically fall off when they kick it.

krautburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/387588/zoo-help#post_3411985
What you need to do is pick the snails up and give them a sniff...you'll know if they're dead really quick. Also, their operculum will typically fall off when they kick it.
don't do it,
I did it once, and almost passed out.
I couldn't get the smell off my hands