“Drip Method” Acclimation Questions

S

sinner's girl

I've never used the drip method, I have a few questions before I get my order.
Can I place all the inverts in the same bucket
? I'm assuming they will come in different bags. I ordered:
1 X Cleaner Clam
1 X Anemone Crab
1 X Arrow Crab
1 X Decorator Crab
1 X Emerald Crab
2 X Hermit Crabs - Assorted - Group of 10
1 X Coral Banded Shrimp
1 X Brittle Star
1 X Chocolate Chip Star
1 X Urchin Combo
How do I keep the temp in the bucket the same as in the tank? Will it stay the same? I have no way of checking the temp in the bucket.
This site says 3+ hours for the stars, will the temp in the bucket stay the same temp as my tank for this long? Since the stars are 3+ hours and everything else is 1+ hour, should I have two different buckets? Do I need a bigger bucket for the stars if I'm going to be dripping water for 3+ hours? Or do I drip slower for longer acclimations?
I've heard stars shouldn't be exposed to air, unless on thier own, so can I pour the water from the bucket into my tank?
Thanks, I want to make sure I do this right.

schadiest1

there are other ways to acclimate. i like to acclimate each fish/invert in a seperate container. make sure your lights are dim and the temp. in your home is fairly warm so the water doesn't cool down over the acclimation process. put the critter in a container about half full of water from the bag it came in. and add 1/4 cup of water every ten minutes. i like to do this for about an hour, more time for starfish and other sensitive inverts such as the shrimp and urchins.
anyone else do acclimation like this?

us~^>shark

I keep the temp in my house at about 78, and the temp in my tank at about 78. So during the drip, there is no change in temp. If there are no extremes in the tank temp to the room temp, you will be OK.
I have used the drip method suggested on this site since I started the hobby earlier this year and have never had a problem or lost an animal.
When I put in my cleaner crew, which included shrimp, stars, crabs and snails, I acclimated them all at once in a large bucket and had no problem at all. I imagine you could separate them by species and acclimate them separately if you are worried.
Good Luck.

speg

I've done it for less hardy animals... I prefer the drip method though. It makes you feel a lot safer :p
As for putting all those together... I personally would try to seperate some of them. Maybe have like the dectorator/coral banded/ arrow crab by themselves.. then the urchine/sea star by themselves, then the rest... just to be on the safe side.

drea

i like the 1/4 method also, never ever had a problem....
as for the hermit crabs, i have never acclimated any in my life, all have been alive 4eva, i just throw them in :joy:

S

sinner's girl

I've always done the 1/4 method before,I place the bag in the tank for 25min, add 1/4 of tank water, then in 25min add 1/4 cup...ect. However, this site will only give you the 6 day guarantee if you use the drip method. Though I never lost an invert during acclimation, I'm not in the mood to risk it or stress my creatures.
The house it at 82-84, the tank is at 80-82 (I keep the fan on in the office).
Also, does anyone know how many bags will be shipped? Does SWF.com separet each invert or invert type? As of right now, I have no room to even float one bag, I'm going to do a wc tomorrow and vaccum the CC really well, then set up all the lr as we want it.
Thanks!

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Sinner's Girl
I've always done the 1/4 method before,I place the bag in the tank for 25min, add 1/4 of tank water, then in 25min add 1/4 cup...ect. However, this site will only give you the 6 day guarantee if you use the drip method. Though I never lost an invert during acclimation, I'm not in the mood to risk it or stress my creatures.
The house it at 82-84, the tank is at 80-82 (I keep the fan on in the office).
Also, does anyone know how many bags will be shipped? Does SWF.com separet each invert or invert type? As of right now, I have no room to even float one bag, I'm going to do a wc tomorrow and vaccum the CC really well, then set up all the lr as we want it.
Thanks!
Don't bother doing a Water change...you'll use a ton of water acclimating..
The stars you should float the bag for about 20mins before drip...
Then see if you can get like a 5watt heater...
I also have a small heater around for acclimation...
Also i'd do 4hr's for the stars....
The best thing to do if possible is check the salinity of the water...when it matches your's after the 3hr's it's Done. and that goes for everything...

S

sinner's girl

It would be good if I could check the salinity...grrr. My hydrometer is WAY off. But at least I can tell if it is the same. Fish guy 45mins away can order me a refratormeter, but that wouldn't be untill tuesday, hopeful, lfs will have something.
I wasn't doing a wc because it needed it, but the cc NEEDED vacuming. I did 3/4 of the tank real well and all the lr was on the other side. Which I've now moved, the stuff coming up is so yickie! The was the lr was set up before, I couldn't get to most of the cc. I figure I at least want to start off with a clean tank. Besides, my tank was full to the top of water, no room to float bags
do I drip slower for longer acclimations? I've heard stars shouldn't be exposed to air, unless on thier own, so can I pour the water from the bucket into my tank?