1.016-1.019 ?

fish master

we have 3 lfs near us. all of them say to keep the salinity between 1.016 - 1.019. does anyone know why they say that.i have read it should be somewhere around 1.023

scopus tang

I believe there is some variance depending on if you are planning a reef tank or a fish only system ~ can't say for sure. I do know that most sources recommend the higher salinity, which is higher than average ocean water salinity.

t316

Because the lower salinity wards off infections and imperfections in their fish only tanks at the store, making the livestock look better to the buyer. NOT recommended in your tank. And if you bring home livestock from here, and do not acclimate properly and only temp float, it will most likely die from the shock difference.

ophiura

I would not buy any invertebrates from them...if there are any alive.
As mentioned, this is a step taken against parasites...invertebrate parasites specifically, that can not survive these lower specific gravities. They are FATAL to invertebrates. It is a COMPLETELY unnatural specific gravity to use, and a good way to kill animals in your tank. I recommend a tank at 1.024-1.026...if you have a reef 1.025-1.026 is best.
But you basically can not successfully keep inverts long term in that specific gravity. That low range is artificial and fish can handle it...but it is not natural at all.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2470296
Because the lower salinity wards off infections and imperfections in their fish only tanks at the store, making the livestock look better to the buyer. NOT recommended in your tank. And if you bring home livestock from here, and do not acclimate properly and only temp float, it will most likely die from the shock difference.
Yeah, and there's a school of thought that says lower SG is easier on the fish;less weight to counter. Years ago, before reefs, very low SG was more common. I don't push it, but I keep my fish-only tank at about 1.017 and have done so for many years. I DO NOT speak for reefs.