1/4hp chiller on a very small tank? good or bad?

nietzsche

im getting the equipment ready for my 75g tank and i just got my 1/4hp chiller.
before i setup my 75 (few weeks), im wondering if i can put the 1/4hp chiller on a 28g with half of a 20g tank sump being used?
i dont know the total volume of water, but i imagine its not that much
will this mess up the chiller in anyway? my tank always runs at 83 degrees because of the metal halide fixture. my friend thinks that the chiller will be kicking on and off more frequently since theres so little volume of water, so temp will fluctuate more

spiderwoman

IMO 1/4hp chiller is a bit of overkill for that size tank, but I could be wrong. I don't know if that is going to cause any problems for your chiller, probably not, especially if you have it attached to your controller and it only runs when needed. Even for your 75 1/10 would be enough.

nietzsche

ya i agree 1/4hp would be overkill for a 28g with sump, but the chiller is automatic i believe. you set the temp you want and it keeps it at that. my friend runs this same chiller for each of his 75g tanks, so i dont think its overkill for a 75. heres the description of the chiller:
CL-650 1/4HP Aquarium Chiller unit.
Heater control addition included.
High quality, durable, completely enclosed. Digital control. Titanium heat exchanger.
db rating 42
Water flow 600gph minimum/1000gph maximum.
220V models available
Hose connections 5/8" or 3/4"
11.5"L x 15"W x 17" H
special 2 degree F on/off control unit available upon request
10 degree cooling up to 180 gallons
30 degree cooling up to 100 gallons

scsinet

The biggest thing you have to worry about is the minimum flow rate through the unit.
As nietzche posted, the minimum flow rate for a 1/4 HP is going to be at least 500gph. That means on a 28g tank you need 15-20x turnover through the chiller's loop just to keep the thing from freezing up. A frozen chiller will ruin your day, trust me.