1 gal pico?

kquang

There is a sale at ***** on these red sea 1 gallon setups that come with HOB filter and a 7watt pc light. I was wondering if the light was strong enough for any corals. Of course I'd have to keep up with water changes. I'm moving into an apartment in Boston, MA for grad school so this small 1 gallon would keep me in touch with the hobby while in school.

chipmaker

Yes they work fine...I bought a bunch of 1 and 1.6 gal pico tank setups awhle back at *****, but their lights were a cheap 3 watt incandescant. I knew that full up before buyinghtem and had no intentions of using a incandescant light. But I also bought a heap of 7 watt Red Sea (Dragon Fly models) and 13 watt lights by Redsea all of which were PC form another lfs, so thats what lights i used on the $3.11 1gal tanks. The 7 watt PC ballast will drive a 9 watt PC bulb without a problem, and no matater how you cut the cake with a 7 or 9 watt PC over 1 gal its still 2 to 3 times the minimum recomended watts per gal usually stated. They work just fine for a lot of corals..You can get daylight or actinic or a 50/50.........I used some of my 1 gal tanks for small mini fuges for the opther 1.6 and 2 gal Red sea wave tanks I bought as well.......Water changes are a must, anmd thje Aqua Clear AC20 MINI works fine for a hob mini fuge and water flow. and ,mechanical filtration if desired.....Beats having a small power head in a small tank and get heat buildup, more than necessary. The hob types work just fine for this use.

mark_d

whats the brand of those 1 or 1.6 gallon tanks? i cant seem to find em on their website for some reason >_<

bojik

Current and coralife make these little 50/50 flourecent bulbs that have a built in ballanst that screw right into standard incandescent sockets. 10 watt bulbs that suposedly put out the light of a ~50 watt watt incandescent I have one in my rena 5 hexagon wich i got free and have turned into a rather stable mini salt tank. They work great. they have an ontop filter with a mini Bio-wheel. I have had good luck with bio-wheels, quite effective things. I converted the end of the lift tube with a larger screen and put one of those small cylindrical course pond filters on the end for even more filter power. Seems to be rather stable for the colored tube worm and 3 firefish i have in it, and the turbo's and hermits. I have not tried any corals in it yet though. Maybe when i need to frag out corals in my 15 gal (20 high base size). Just another tried and sorta proven, i guess, mini tank idea for you guys.