1 light wont turn on???

roggy23

i have 4 55 watt compact fluorescent bulbs for my 60 gal.
one of the light sockets is not powering on my light bulbs.
is this a ballast problem? I dont know what to do the bulbs work just not in that socket... heres a pick

sly

Does any bulb work with that endcap? If so then you have a bad bulb, not an endcap. If nothing works in that endcap, then is it on a balast by itself? If it is paired with another endcap on the same balast and the other endcap works, then your balast is good but your wiring is bad. Check your wires in that endcap and make sure they are not loose or covered in a burned coating, preventing the electricity from flowing.

roggy23

no bulbs worked in that endcap, and i noticed 4 balasts in the fixture whihc probably means each endcap has its own balast right? i believethe wiring is ok but who knows, how do i check if somethings wrong with the ballasts???

sly

I couldn't see any burn marks in the picture. That is usually a sign of a loose wire. If none of your wires pull out easily from the endcap then it is likely that your ballast is bad. You can use a volt meter if you know how. That would tell you for sure whether or not the balast is working. Set the voltmeter to high range (around 10,000 volts) if it's not auto ranging. If your voltage is low or non existant then your balast is definitely bad. Also you would need to check the voltage between the a red and white wire for the test.

akinda

had the same prob if its coralife then call them and then you will have to fax a receipt and they will send you a new ballast for free.