1 yr. maintence?

zoie2

I've had my tank for about a year now and figured there must be some things I need to do. I know to change my lights, and I have kept every thing clean of salt build up, but what else do i need to do?
I noticed a bunch of those little white tube worms growing on the walls inside my back chambers. Should I scrape those off. There are some on my heater too.

jmcnaz

clean power heads, pumps and unless those tube worms impead water flow I wouldnt touch them. If u use a sump I would clean any bioballs(with saltwater, not fresh water) and get as much detritus cleaned up. clean any UV lights up and change bulb.
Good Luck

zoie2

How do I clean my power heads and why? They don't look dirty, just purple. Do I take my pump right out ot the tank and do I need to clean the hose too?

jmcnaz

take all pumps and powerheads apart, clean inside the pumps. might not be bad idea to clean hoses.

bojik

The outside of the pumps and PH's isn't as important,unless its blocking the intake or output. Though some people get some inverts growing on the housings, usualy just those micro dusters and sometimes barnicales. I have heard stories of people purposefully growing polyps on in tank powerheads to help hide them though.
What you need to clean is the impeller and insides of build up (if they don't have prefilters especially). And gently remove any hair wrapped around the impellers (don't ask me how there always seems to be at least a few).

zoie2

Soooo, if on Friday when I do my regular water change; I take a bowl of the salt water I just took out and put all my parts in there, I could softly scrub them with a tooth brush? Is that how I clean them? This won't hurt the coraling algae growing on my power heads will it?

bojik

Originally Posted by zoie2
Soooo, if on Friday when I do my regular water change; I take a bowl of the salt water I just took out and put all my parts in there, I could softly scrub them with a tooth brush? Is that how I clean them? This won't hurt the coraling algae growing on my power heads will it?
Pretty much yea. If your gentle when/IF you clean the outsides off it shouldn't. And you might want one of those narrow brushes on a stick for cleaning airlines/small tubes to get the inside of the some of the smaller pumps easier. I think your on the right track.