10 Gallon Nano-reef

rhyno36

Today we started two 10 gallon Nano-reefs. We used cured live rock, 15 lbs each and live sand, about 20 lbs each tank. We also used water from our 90 and 55 gallon reef tanks. We have Skimmers on both, not big ones, and filters. Is there anyone out there that has some experience with Nano-reefs that can offer any advice on next step?

fallen04

you may want to look into 65 watt power compacts you can get retrofit kits that will fit most tanks. You used tank water wich was a good idea. it should not take too long for your tank to cycle. What do you plan to keep in there. If you upgrade your lights there wont be too many things you couldn't keep after your tank cycles. Just be careful about heat build up. Small tanks and stron lights sometimes equal too much heat.

sebastian

I have had a 10 gal tank since july, this is my first salt tank and I have had no problems. I have about 10pounds of live rock an ocellaris clown, a bicolor blenny, a colony of button polyps and a sand star. The only thing I would suggest is change the water frequently. I do a 50% change once a month and, like I said, have had no problems.

there is NO WAY a 65 watt light will fit on a 10 gallon tank!!! if you want good lighting on the 10 gallon tanks then put two 32watt 10000k and two 15watt actinics on both tanks. then you will be able to keep alot of corals.