10 gallon salt... is this hard

beanie

How hard would it be to set up a 10-20 gallon salt water tank. I hear the bigger the better, but what id budget only allows for a smaller tank... how difficult is this

logan15

well it is true bigger is better a 10-20 gallon is harder to keep because it is so small and the levels can change very quickly say a fish dies in the 10 gallon and you dont see the fish it could kill all the other fish but in lets say a 125 gallon a fish dies chances are none of the other fish will even be touched or harmed.i would say save your money till you can get at least a 40 Gallon or up but thats just my opinon if you stuck on the 10-20 gallon talked to some of the nano reef owners around here
Hope this helps,
Logan

aggie05

The one thing I will tell you is that if you think a 10 is going to save you a bunch of money, you are wrong. I have a good 450-500 in mine already and haven't even added any coral yet.

entice59

Originally posted by Aggie05
The one thing I will tell you is that if you think a 10 is going to save you a bunch of money, you are wrong. I have a good 450-500 in mine already and haven't even added any coral yet.

i totally agree with aggie05, i have spent over 1000 dollars on my 15 gallon. I have spent about 1300 for my 55. I probably saved me a lot of headache and money on the 55 because of great advice from this board rather then local fish stores. I started out with the 15, i think if you spend time doing research and asking questions on the board, it will save you a lot of money. one suggestion you should take: dont buy on impulse ask first then buy later. IMO
Good luck

doodle1800

The differences between a 10 gal and lets say a 55 are... price of lights, tank, skimmer, amount of salt, amount of LR, number of fish, number of powerheads, size of filter if you have one, heater size if you use one. So while both small and large setups are going to be pricey, I'd say the 10 is cheaper. However, once you get going on the 10, you'll want a 55 or larger in no time. My suggestion is go at it slowly. Buy a 55 or larger tank and sand. Build the system as your checkbook allows. You don't have to buy everything at once.
I have a ten and enjoy it. Here's what I've spent so far.
In $$
10 - tank
15 - salt
40 - Live Sand
50 - Live Rock
60 - Light - 28 watts
20 - outside filter
15 - heater
20 - test kit
13 - Hydrometer
10 - 2 damsels (rid them after cycle and now have 2 clowns
35 - 2 percula clowns
10 - 6 hermits
10 - emerald crab
13 - feather duster
15 - food
25 - Live Rock with Polyps on it.
30 - miscelaneous
So about $360 so far.. No skimmer - yet.

jumpfrog

I say if you're thinking reef, then by all means. The bigger tank is the better way to go. But...........I have a 10 gallon with a hawk and a damsel. LR, LS blade calurpa and a whisper 4 hanging off the back. With lighting maybe a $100-$150 tops. It's a fun tank, the hawk is a great fish and there's always something new to find on the LR. Change 2 gallons every week or so. Never a problem.
Just another side of the issue.
Good Luck!

j21kickster

Originally posted by entice59
i totally agree with aggie05, i have spent over 1000 dollars on my 15 gallon.
Good luck

The 15 gallon with the clown and fire shrimp???