10' Lagoon. Okay lets build this together.

it's chuck

Why are you using a liner and not epoxy and fiberglass? It would be much better for you than pond liner(because of the viewing windows.) Also you don't have to worry about it ripping

crypt keeper

im not using anything. Im working with ideas right now. I have no idea about the epoxy and only heard its very expensive.

markw

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3111208
im not using anything. Im working with ideas right now. I have no idea about the epoxy and only heard its very expensive.
I dont know much about this, but I do know that it would be just as expensive and then some if the liner would rip and the tank emptied out on your floor. I love the idea. Im another follower.
Mark

S

shrimpy brains

Tuned in!!
Will be learning from this thread as I want to do one of these myself!!

crypt keeper

The liner will not tear if taken care of. If I am gentle with it. Not sliding rocks around on it. I like that guys design. Im just wondering if glass can be glued correctly. anybody have koi forum?

socalnano24

my dad and I made a kayak using marine grade plywood several years back. It has multiple laminations and the glue is waterproof. It also doesn't have gaps in it like normal plywood.
In addition you could line your corners and seams with fiberglass tape and then layer them with epoxy, then epoxy the ******** of the lagoon. This would probably work without a liner, or could be used with the liner as a safeguard in the event your liner ever punctures

crypt keeper

Im still playing with ideas and I have to get my shed built. My house is a tad old. Built in the 50's we did a test run with a smaller pump than what would be needed and the noise came through the woods floors in my house. It wasnt like it was right next to me but it was annoying. In the mean time I upgraded to a 150 to keep my fish happy. I havent added any new fish but I may. I dont want to get too far ahead of myself. The pond liner is what Im doing. It wont tear. The liner is very thick. All I have to do is take care when placing things. I may just scrap the window idea for now and just build an 8 foot lagoon by 3 feet wide. That will hold my fish for the next few, like 3, years while I plan on the something else.

oceansidefish

Have you considered the effects of the salt water and creep on the pond liner???? I would be 1000% sure that the liner had been tested against the corrosivity of salt water, salt creep will do nasty nasty things....I would look into a marine liner if I were you. The epoxy would be the best bet though still. If you look around I am sure that the epoxy would not be more than the liner. I would also then be concerned about any crabs going into the tank. A pool liner material may be a better option. Even then I have seen massive problems with all of the above.

crypt keeper

People have been using the thick black pond liners for years and I have never heard a single issue with them. Plenty of people youtube have lagoon with this material. I just want a different view area

nw2salt08

I worked for a pool company for 7 years and we used 20 mil liner with saltwater systems on them. The liners held up just as long, if not longer, as the chlorine pools. There shouldn't be an issue with the liner holding up for 3 years or even longer for that fact. As long as you don't drain and let it dry you'll be fine. If a liner dries out it'll shrink and then when you go to fill it back up it'll rip. Not to mention, if it's an older liner it'll become brittle from sun exposure. Just a few tidbits on liners. Any questions feel free to ask.
Excited about this project. Can't wait to see you start on it.

crypt keeper

The liner would be inside all day and the water level will be kept at a certain just like a regular tank.
Let me ask you about the liner. Can a piece of glass be tightly glued too it and it hold?

nw2salt08

As long as it's braced with some sort of frame then I don't think it'd be an issue. We put in lights and skimmer boxes in above ground pools all the time through aluminum walls and they hold. I don't see why it'd be an issue.

nw2salt08

If I were you, I'd place the glass in, seal it and then frame it with a plastic frame after you put the liner in. When you put the liner in....just clip it around the edges til you get it laid all the way out, then feel along the wall for the window and draw with a pen on the liner and cut out. Then frame it with a plastic frame. Seal it again and it should hold just fine. Then finish off the top of the lagoon to cover the clips and hold the liner.
This is what we do for pools. It works great.