100% cure all???

jbirdy

If I quarentine new fish with copper and quarantine new inverts (no copper) for 30 days, is there still a possibility to get an outbreak of ich in the main tank? Is quarantining a 100% cure-all?

tacks

jbirdy,
You could always use your lfs as a quarantine tank. Just ask them to hold a certain fish for two weeks. If it's a good lfs, they won't have a problem doing this.

playtime

jbirdy; I didn't want to QT either at first but several outbreaks of ich really changed my thinking. This works great just to be safe. your fish will thank you, I know mine do. Good luck
playtime :D

jimi

I definately would not count on your lfs as a quarantine. Unless he runs several different systems that no new fish are introduced to ick can be present. There have been studies that say ick has survived up to 72 days although rare and its ability to infect after 45 days was almost none there still is that small chance which makes quarantine not 100%. It is still your best shot at happiness!

jacrmill

QT is not necessary, but very helpful. someone recommended a freshwater dip above. i would not recommend this. the reason you get ick, is because there are parasites present in the water. your fish is stressed out from the commotion of going to a lfs and then your house. his immune system is weakend so he is vulnerable to the parasites. doing a freshwater dip will kill the parasites on him, but will stress him out more, and possibly make him more prone to getting it. so i believe you should not do a freshwater dip unless it is absolutely necessary. i dont freshwater dip my fish when they go into the tank. i also wouldnt use a lfs as your QT, but its good to let them be there awhile anyways, for other reasons. i am not running a QT because my mom is convinced im taking up enough room in the house with my main tank, so i have nowhere to put a QT. but believe me i wish i did. been lucky so far though. good luck, and if you can get a Q tank do so.

jacrmill

QT is not necessary, but very helpful. someone recommended a freshwater dip above. i would not recommend this. the reason you get ick, is because there are parasites present in the water. your fish is stressed out from the commotion of going to a lfs and then your house. his immune system is weakend so he is vulnerable to the parasites. doing a freshwater dip will kill the parasites on him, but will stress him out more, and possibly make him more prone to getting it. so i believe you should not do a freshwater dip unless it is absolutely necessary. i dont freshwater dip my fish when they go into the tank. i also wouldnt use a lfs as your QT, but its good to let them be there awhile anyways, for other reasons. i am not running a QT because my mom is convinced im taking up enough room in the house with my main tank, so i have nowhere to put a QT. but believe me i wish i did. been lucky so far though. good luck, and if you can get a Q tank do so.

jacrmill

jacrmill