100g hex tank setup

scottyboy

Greetings, and thanks for taking the time to review my questions.
4 weeks ago we were given a 100 gallon glass hex tank(drilled), since then I have read and read and researched and researched, and find myslef more confused than ever. We would like to setup a FOWLR tank. The existing equipment is the tank (30" tall), Little Giant 4 series pump, Angstrom UV Sterilizer, and round Ocean Clear filter with UGF setup, stand and canopy with 24" flor lighting.
I am conviced to throw the CC in the trash and go with the live sand, as well as live rock (how much, I don't know yet). I guess my questions would pertain more to my equipment setup. What of this equipment do/don't I need for a FOWLR tank? Or is there more equipment I will need? In addition, I am not completely sold on the hex tank, so, I am not opposed to starting over completely. I have been eyeing a new 150 gallon acrylic tank with built in overflow in my area that is on an auction site. (being a woodworker, this would allow me to build a stand and canopy, therefore, fueling my other hobby:) ). If I were to start over with a new tank, will any of this equipment transfer to the new tank, or will I be in need of all new equipment? And for that matter, I am confused as to exactly what equipment is needed? I am not sold on the idea of having a fug in the stand, but if you guys convince me that is the best way to go, then I am in.
I would like the tank to be setup and running with living creatures for the next 20 years, so I want to do it right the first time. Thanks for your help, and I am sure I will have plenty more questions.

lion_crazz

That's fantastic that you are so into and that you are really doing your research. I like the hex tanks, but I just find that they are too difficult to work with. I took care of someone's tank that was a hex and it was just a pain to try and add any needed equipment or just to work with.
If I were you, I would probably go with the 150. It will give you an extra 50 gallons to work with, and you will be able to run a sump/fuge, and in-sump or external protein skimmer, rather than having to use a hang-on.
Here is the equipment you will need (considering that you forget about the 100 and upgrade to the 150).
-filter - the UGF is outdated and really should not be sold anywhere. Most people with a large tank like that just use a sump and/or fuge as their filter. After pretty much using every type of filter on my 75, I have found that the sump/fuge works best. You can either buy a sump or you can make one out of a smaller tank that will fit into your stand.
-protein skimmer - an absolute must in any saltwater aquarium. It will help keep your tank clean, take away from the nitrates build-up, and give the tank more aeration. You can either run one that sits inside your sump, or one that attaches to your sump via plumping (external skimmer).
-live rock - I recommend at least one lb. per gallon, as it is the best filter for any aquarium to have, plus it will give your fish and inverts places to retreat, a food source for your fish, plus, a base put to place corals if you decide to go to a reef tank.
-refugium - this is definitely a good thing to have because it is a natural way to get rid of nitrates, plus it works toward filtering your tank.
-power heads - to move the water in the tank and get all the dirt that resides on the bottom into your filter.
-heater
Good luck with whatever you choose. Post any other questions you may have!

scottyboy

Thanks for the reply Lion,
Let me ask this; suppose I used the hex tank to get me started with the ultimate goal upgrading to a larger tank down the road. I would ditch the UGF, put about 4" live sand as the base, add maybe 75 lbs live rock to get me started. Would I replace the Ocean Clear canister filter with a protein skimmer, or somehow incorporate the two? Next, would the little giant pump work as a powerhead? It really moves the water around in the tank, however, I remember reading it is ideal to have 10x for water movement. So, would the pump count towards that, then I could just add another power head in the tank to make up the difference?
I forgot to mention that I do have a new heater, however, I have not opened it because I may need a larger one if I decide to setup the larger tank instead. I have read it is possible to place the heater in the fuge?

bailey52

Hey lion.. Im confused about the two diff types of skimmers. I have a sump and now i use an old amiracle air stone skimmer, i want to upgrade. This skimmer sits outside the sump but the water falls into the sump. When you say an "in sump" skimmer.. is this a skimmer that actually sits in the water in the sump? if so what is the purpose.. or how does it work? TYIA

lion_crazz

No, a skimmer would not replace the cannister filter. The skimmer and filter work hand-in-hand. A sump/fuge is a type of filter. You need some sort of filter on your tank to take out debris.
The pump could work as a powerhead. It all depends on how many gph the pump does. You do not want one pump moving too many water because then it creates too much flow in one area, thus causing a problem for the fish to swim and move. If you had a hang-on-the-back skimmer, that would work towards your flow as well. However, you were misinformed. You want 15-20X the turnover rate in your tank (but this includes filter, skimmer, and extra powerheads).
I would not recommend placing the heater in the fuge unless the fuge is in your sump, which most people do. The fuge does not take enough gallons of your tank per hour in order to heat it adequately if you have an external fuge.

lion_crazz

Bailey 52, when I refer to the two different types of skimmers, you have an external skimmer because it does not sit directly in the sump. There are some skimmers that sit directly in the sump and have pumps that pump water up into them, and then gravity dumps it back out into the sump. You and I have skimmers that are external because they sit outside the sump and are fed water either through a pump in the sump (the way my skimmer is) or directly from the tank (the way yours sounds.) An in-sump skimmer is sometimes helpful because it creates less of a mess, plus it is for those with less room in their stand.

bailey52

Oh ok I see now, yes mine sits outside the Sump, and there is a power head in the sump that sends the water to the skimmer, then the skimmer dumps the water back into the sump