10g SPS

gatorwpb

you have to pay attention more than you normally already have to because its an sps tank.
but if you have the time to regularly check sg, pH, alk and calc without temp fluctuations and frequent water changes, then it shouldnt be difficult.

howardj

don't wanna go against anyones saltwater beliefs, here..
But as stated above.. I have A Monti and Acropora in my 10G w/ 36w T5, 1 reflector.
I have a 50w heater, Model 400 Maxi-Jet; I have not done a water change in 3 weeks (slackin'.. but yet, nothing looks bad at all), have never checked levels after cycle, and have no clue what temp the tank is at.. everything is living and growing Very well, most rapidly..
Just sayin'..

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by HowardJ
http:///forum/post/2684110
But as stated above.. I have A Monti and Acropora in my 10G w/ 36w T5, 1 reflector.
I have a 50w heater, Model 400 Maxi-Jet; I have not done a water change in 3 weeks (slackin'.. but yet, nothing looks bad at all)
, have never checked levels after cycle, and have no clue what temp the tank is at.. everything is living and growing Very well, most rapidly..
Just sayin'..
Which is certainly possible for the OP as well.
Generally, to maximize the opportunity for success with sps in a 10g versus something 55g or larger (40g even) requires more responsibility. SPS are very senisitive to swings in water parameters and those swings will generally occur more often and with more magnitude and effect in a smaller tank.

howardj

Totally agreed, Gator
That's why I got to thinking about water changes... if the tank is stable.. no more bioload added, doing water changes are.. pointless? and more harmful to the tank?
Does the ocean get water changes?? Just top-offs, correct?
I mean.. think of what a hurricane does to the ocean.. brings up debris, breaks/kills coral, fish, inverts, etc.. the ocean is massive enough to take care of the ammonia spikes, etc..
but in a 10 gallon tank.. going from steady parameters to a water change with sudden changes of nitrates, possible small ammonia spikes, etc., could be harmful?

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by johnjamiesonx
http:///forum/post/2684197
decided to drop the 10 idea, and bought a fixture for my 40g for SPS. thanks
Probably a good idea. The 10 can be a sump for the 40 if you dont have one.

http:///forum/post/2684127
That's why I got to thinking about water changes... if the tank is stable.. no more bioload added, doing water changes are.. pointless? and more harmful to the tank?
Does the ocean get water changes?? Just top-offs, correct?
I mean.. think of what a hurricane does to the ocean.. brings up debris, breaks/kills coral, fish, inverts, etc.. the ocean is massive enough to take care of the ammonia spikes, etc..
but in a 10 gallon tank.. going from steady parameters to a water change with sudden changes of nitrates, possible small ammonia spikes, etc., could be harmful?
Actually, I think of it that the ocean gets perpetual water changes. It has an infinite deep sand bed and very high flow conditions with pristine parameters. Fresh ocean water is constantly being brought in to the reefs from the open ocean which replaces nutrients used by the reef critters.
Daily events such as evaporation or top-off (rain) have unmeasurable effects on the ocean because of the scale of it compared to the scales of our tanks.
when you have a smaller tank, the natural cycles (evap/top-off, nitrogen, calcification, etc.) have greater effects the smaller the scale.
Water changes are supposed to match the parameters of the tank so that there isnt a shock when you perform one. Also, on the 10g, you wouldnt want to do much more than a 10% to 33% water change at a time.
But Howard, if youre having succes with your 10g, then you must be doing something right. So you wont need to change what your doing.

myzislow

http:///forum/post/2684110
I have a 50w heater, Model 400 Maxi-Jet; I have not done a water change in 3 weeks (slackin'.. but yet, nothing looks bad at all)
, have never checked levels after cycle, and have no clue what temp the tank is at.. everything is living and growing Very well, most rapidly..
Just sayin'..
This is bad practice and definitely not something anyone should perceive as the norm. Never testing water, not knowing what your temp is, and slacking on maintenance in any 10 gallon reef is flirting with disater IMO; especially if you're going to try and cram some SPS in it.
Besides, a monti and an acro is a pretty vague description. What kind of each? How long have you had them and do they grow? Do they hold their colors and have the colors shifted? I'm not saying it isn't possible, just not the smartest idea in the least bit.