10gal journal :D

jelly crab

Well, I have decided to convert my 10gal fresh, to salt. The only thing in there is an algae eater...He will find a new home in my 45gl fresh. Anyway, I know a good bit already, but, I just wanted a parts, and price list. This thing needs to be done with a ~$50 weekly budget lol (Lawn mowing ftw). I know I want to have a home to some softies (shrooms, rics, zoaz, bubble coral, etc.) And I want a goby, or blenny. To be honest, gobies are what took my thoughts of getting SW from 'hmmm.,..that's cool' to 'OMG YES! NOW!' That, and corals lol. Something about gobies, the way the hop about, sift the sand, and scutter arround your LR. SW's have so much life in them, even without any fish or coral. Which is why, from day 1, I have always wanted one (day 1 was like 3 years ago O.O )
So, I know I need about 15-20lbs of LR. and about 17lbs of LS (I will just get 20). But, I don't know what I need as far as how much GPH I need, lighting, etc. I read all those facts long ago, and forgot em. I know I want 14k lighting, I want color, and growth. I know this won't be cheap, and it will take me 2-4 weeks maybe for each part, but I'm ok with that (I have no choice anyway xD)
Sorry for the big wall of text...but I didn't really know where to start >.>

geoj

Start with the LR, LS, saltmix, APIs Reef Master Test Kit, and get the tank cycled.
Then get a Hang on Back Reef Octopus protein skimmer.
Then the light T5HO with individual reflectors I think you might get 4 bulbs on a ten gal.

mattfrancis

I agree with ^
I think two t5 vho bulbs would let you keep anything. And it'll leave some room so you can put hands in and out of the tank without taking off the fixture (and also has room for HOB skimmer).

jelly crab

The smallest skimmer (by Reef Octopus) I could find, was for a 90gal O.O
And will a 24" lighting fixture work on a 20" tank? ... That's the problem I'm facing now
P.S. For those who didn't notice, I'm Jelly_Shrimp, from long ago. Forgot my password and such, so I had to make a new one. And that email gets spammed A LOT so I thought it would be best to just make a new account with my new(er) email.

jelly crab

It is 20", but I found something about it being ok to have 24" with some hanging over the side. I will continue to look though...

meowzer

Originally Posted by Jelly Crab
http:///forum/post/3293591
It is 20", but I found something about it being ok to have 24" with some hanging over the side. I will continue to look though...
Yeah...you can do that if you want....

geoj

Look at this skimmer
•Item #: OCT-BH100SS
•Reef Octopus® HOB with surface skimmer
•Dimensions: 8″ x 3.25″ x 17″
•Rated up to 60 gallons.

meowzer

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3293615
Look at this skimmer
•Item #: OCT-BH100SS
•Reef Octopus® HOB with surface skimmer
•Dimensions: 8″ x 3.25″ x 17″
•Rated up to 60 gallons.
I have that on my 54G, and it says it is rated up to 90G...it has a large pump on it too.........and I have the bak pak 2 on my 29G
I have had bubble issues with both.....I recently adjusted the output tube on the bak pak to control the bubbles....have not found a fix for the BH100SS yet

They both skim great.....BUT they are both 17" tall......you'll have to do some measuring....and depending on your stand...it could work

novahobbies

I use the AquaticLife Internal Mini skimmer 115 on my seahorse tank and I'm fairly pleased with it - it pulls a good colored brew out of the tank, but even after a week or so of break-in the skimmate is still fairly watery. If I had the spare $160.00 laying around, I would go with a Tunze Nano DOC protein skimmer 9002; I've read a lot of VERY favorable reviews for that skimmer. Both would fit easily in a 10g tank.

gill again68

Ive been looking for a light set up for a 10g as well. The best fits for 20" are compact lighting that I have found so far.

jelly crab

Hmmmm...I was just looking around at what I could do as far as 'livestock' not corals, but like shrimps and fish, etc. I would like:
A Randalli Pistol Shrimp
And a bumble Bee Shrimp Goby
~~~MAYBE~~~
An anemone of some sort, one that doesn't require more than just some spot feeding every few days.
a Black and White false Perc
Anyway, on the topic of corals. I'd like a round-about on what people consider 'low, medium, and igh' as far as lighting. I want mushrooms, zoos (I was thinking about getting a couple rocks isolated JUST for the zoos and other polyps). Also, Ric (OF COURSE!!!) Torch coral, hammer coral, bubble, frogspawn, etc. I like things with soft finger things. Long tentacle place maybe. Things like that.