10k halogen - not pleased.

doodle1800

I just bought a coral life light fixture. It has 2 - 96 watt actinic and 2 150 watt halogens - 10k. I'm not real thrilled with the 10k's - too yellow in my opnion. What do most of you that use halogens use for wavelength? 10k, 20k? Can you explain how the other wavelengths look?

fishrule

Are you sure they are 10k's??? I have a Coralife 1x150w 10K and it is very white, even at 9 months old.
EDIT: I thought you said MH not Halogen... So disregard my statement...

doodle1800

I meant MH. Sorry... here's something
* 20,000K XDE lamp is excellent if you want a deeper blue look. 10,000K for a bright, crisp white look.
I think I should have gotten 20k... oops...

doodle1800

ok - another question... this light has 2-96 watt actinics and 2 mh - 10k's. Since from what I'm reading the 20k is a "deeper" blue look, will the tank be too blue? I'm thinking the 14k's will be what I really want? - Not white, not blue - in between?

bang guy

I'm not sure. I may go to 10,000K and add more actinic.
Make sure your coralife bulbs are actinic and not just blue bulbs.

doodle1800

by checking the labels on the bulbs?
I will - thanks...
I'm considering buying the 14k's and have the 10k's as backups. I'll take a pic tonight of the tank with all lights on. I wonder thru pics if we can tell the difference (14k's, yours, and my 10k's).

dejaco

Best I have tried are 10000 k MH with a combination VHO actic white and actinic blue. Makes things look like what I see when snorkeling.