120 gallon... fish to put in it?

N

n_sarno

Hello everyone!
Im new to saltwater and new to this forum! I have had a 29 gallon reef tank set up for about 2 months, and I just purchased a 120 gallon tank from a buddy of mine which I am just about to set up and start cycling for a fish only tank.
I have been looking online at some of the "bigger" fish that I would like to get and am not sure if some of them will go together ok or not.
I am definatly going to get a dog faced puffer because I love them I think they are so cute
(is it possible to put a valentini puffer w/ a dog faced or is it one puffer per tank?)
I would like a Huma Huma Trigger
I would like to get a hippo tang (if possible)
I also would like a Pacific Yellow Longnose Butterfly
I would like to get a few yellow tangs but are they able to be kept w/ the hippo tang?
Black & White Heniochus are nice
and that is probably about it...
Any suggestions would be appreciated

psufan43

if you add both tangs at the same time i dont think it should be a problem,
i had 3 tangs in a big tank a few yrs ago doing great before power outterage during a storm killed them all.
I think you could easily do 2 tangs and the humma humma as fas as the puffer goes, i dont really want to give advice on them, i have kept probally every type of saltwater fish expect puffers, i know they usually require big tanks though, so i dont know if you add all 4 fish if it would overstock or not. Some one else could be more help on the puffer then i could.

lion_crazz

The dogface and the valentini should work fine as long as you add the valentini when the dogface is small.
I would probably leave out the hippo, as they are a very difficult fish to maintain, and with such other fish as a few puffers and trigger, a hippo tang is probably not the best idea.
You also do not want to get a few yellow tangs. Limit it to one yellow tang.
And as far as the butterflies, just know that you need to keep your water pristine, meaning 0 nitrates, in order to keep these guys. Also, regardless of what butterfly you get, they need to be your last fish as they like mature tanks. They do not do well at all in new tanks.
Last thing, you cannot do the heniochus if you are going to do potential fin nippers in the puffers and triggers. The longnose might be okay though.

psufan43

yea i would wait a while before a buttefly, i dont know if i would put in a tank with a trigger though, I have butterflies now with tangs, and everyone gets along great.

N

n_sarno

I thought valentini puffers got larger then 4 inches thats tiny
any other puffer that would be compatible with the dog faced that is a little larger?

edwar050

valentini gets 4 possibly 5 inches but most have slow growth rate and stay pretty small. No advice on other puffers.