120 Gallon Lighting Input

Well im going to be aquiring a 120 gallon fish tank and im going to have it as a FOWLR right now but going to be converting it to a Reef after a few years of having it. Would a 6x54 or 8x54 T-5 HO lighting be good enough ?

michaeltx

if they have individual reflectors the 8 bulb would probbly work I assume this is 4 on each side of the tank?
Mike

IDK what you mean by four on each side but I would like to get the Current USA T-5s for the 120 but i see that all they have is lights for a 48" in lenght tank

mr_x

yes. 8 in a row, with individual reflectors...i think that would be a good choice.

Problem is that the fish tank is 60" inches in lenght and the lights come up to 48" inches thats the big problem im having

michaeltx

look at the 30 inch fixtures you may have to go 2-2 bulb fixtures on each side of the tank. each fixture would cover half the tank and with 2 fixtures on each side would give you the light that you need.
mike

michaeltx

clams are still up in the air I know a couple people in this area that are testing to see if the higher light clams can handle it. there are a few thats on the lower light demanding side just not sure which ones.
I will post a pic of a 125 with a similar light setup all t-5 with 6 bulbs on each side in just a minute for you to look at.
Mike

Um you think the 8x54 lights that are 48" be good cause the 30 inch lights are only 2x24 and if I get two of those on each side i dont think thatll do, or would it

michaeltx

you can orverlap the light on the top with out any ill effects in fact you would get some areas of the tank that have a higher light area for more light demanding corals. if I understand you right LOL
Mike

Im just saying will a light fixture with 2x24 watts of light on each side with two fixtures on each side be better than one whole light fixture that 48" inches with 8x54 watts on a tank that is 60" long

michaeltx

aww ok you can go that way t-5s from my understanding are stronger the shorter they are but if you can find a fixture that is 60 then yeah it will work just be prepared when you order bulbs to pay a premium for extra long bulbs.
Mike

Just wondering what will me my best bet cause i dont want to go for Metal Halide cause im having a big issue with heat in my house and the tank raising temperature so i wanted to go for T-5s cause there not as hot. So the short bulb 2x24 T-5 Fixtures are better than the big long one? And two of the 2x24 on each side is what i should do if im heading that way with the smaller ones ?

michaeltx

ok if I had to choose between 2x24 one on each side or one 8x54 60 inch I would go with the 60. the bulbs will cost more but you would end up better than the a lower set on the other fixture .
Mike

Here are the options from were im seeing it at
2 2x24 T-5 Lights on each side
OR
1 48" 6x54 or 8x54 T-5 Lighting
or am I searching wrong cause i cant find one whole 60" T-5 lighting fixtures

michaeltx

let me look and see they may not make them a full 60 but one hood that spans the 60 inches with a split light bulb scheme inside the fixture
Mike