120 gallon upgrade, sort of

lmforbis

I am looking at upgrading my tank, sort of. The tank I am looking at is a 120 (60x18x26"). I have a 125 now that I got used and it has a number of significant scratches in it. I'd like to relocate the tank to a slightly smaller wall that is why I need the 60" width, the 125 would fit in that location but I wouldn't be able to open my front door. The new location will allow me to have my sump in a small room directly below it (in the basement). I already have my mixing station in that room. I will be able to increase the size of my sump from 29 gallons to 40 gallons. So I will gain a couple gallons of total water volume but will lose the length in the DT. I will eventually have to re-home my Hippo tang but that has always been the case. She was a very tiny accidental inclusion in an order I received in February.

I am starting to think about the details. I don't plan to upgrade any equipment at the moment. Everything is on the new side anyway and my current equipment will be compatible with the new tank, except the return pump. I don't expect to buy the tank until after Christmas but my brain is still planning the build. I need to start on the stand soon. Any features that would be good to incorporate into a stand?

What are the advantages of a bare bottom tank? I don't have any sand sifters to worry about. Is it easier to maintain a bare bottom or does it just get covered in coraline and look messy? My sand gets pushed around all the time now and a good chunk of the tank is bare bottom most of the time. If I do go with sand it will be a very shallow bed and I will use all new sand in the new tank. Anybody have any favorite kinds of sand?

florida joe

Just my .02 first on your stand if your sump is located a floor below I assume your refug and other equipment will be there also. If that is the case I would make sure that the stand had shelving under your tank for books, testing equipment nets dry food EST. As far as a BBT you have to like the look. It is most definitely easier to maintain you can really crank up the flow and water movement. It will eventually cover over with coralline algae. You will not of course be able to put in any fish that require a sand bed.

lmforbis

Definitely shelves below. I was thinking of building wire chases into the sides and access to the sides so I can put the controllers out of sight but easily accessible.

At the moment I am leaning toward bare bottom because I can always add sand later if I hate it.

2quills

I've been considering this a lot lately as well. I'm sure it's way easier to maintain. I mean all of the coral tanks I usually see at the LFS's are always bare bottom.

But I also like the look of sand. Think it just lends to the over all feel of a more natural environment even if it isn't natural.

FWIW, I wouldn't count the blue tang out yet. As long as they can stay active and you provide lots of flow for exercise then you're in good shape. I think my buddy Joe kept some tangs for quite a while in his tank.

I have that exact same size tank and I'm currently running two mp40s (4000gph each). I went with course aragonite base. I can crank the power up full blast but I will say any fine material will definitely end up in the water column when doing so. Otherwise the sand bed hasn't been a huge challenge for me.

[/URL][/IMG]

lmforbis

Nice tank.

I do like the look of the sand just not the movement. Mine is pretty fine and coarser sand may work better. It s easier to add sand later than to remove it though.

I'll keep the blue for a while. She was barely the size of a dime when I got her. Very little markings or blue color. I wouldn't have been sure what she was if the bag didn't say yellow belly hippo tang. I was sure she wouldn't make it out of QT. 4 weeks later she was put in the big tank. That was mid February, now she's about 3" long and starting to get her yellow belly.

florida joe

Just My .02 Not really sure what your concern about the Hippo is. If it’s the tank size, you need to remember when you read the maximum size a fish gets online. That is the size of wild caught fish. Not the size that a fish has grown to in a closed system. I personally have had GREAT success keeping multiple tangs in my tank at one them. (Yellow, hippo and kole). The Yellow 10 years the hippo 4 and Kole 6. BUT that is just me. I have not been able to keep RGs for more than two weeks. Sadly for them I have tried over and over again. As far as your sand getting blown all over. Adjust your flow and water movement to eliminate this and compensate for that with an extensive cleanup crew especially suited for sand.

lmforbis

I ordered the 120 today. I thought it would take around 2 weeks to come in. Owner of the fish store said it would be here Friday. I told him to have the rep hold off a week on shipping it. I still need to build the stand. Guess I know what I'm doing this week end.

lmforbis

I also ordered sand and some more Pukani from BRS today. I decided I'm doing sand just not a lot.

lmforbis

Depends on what you consider an upgrade. I'm going from a used 125 to a new 120. I'm going to plumb the sump into the basement.

jay0705

Ah very good. I thought i remembered you talking about it. Sand is a good option tho, helpful if you decide to get a wrasse in the future

lmforbis

He prefers the more exotic fire fish. I am thinking about 3 anthias a few months down the road.

lmforbis

Yesterday I ordered my sand and a couple more rocks from BRS. They were sitting on my door step when I got home today. BRS is local for me so 2 day free shipping ends up to be over nigh. I also got a marine pure block to put in the sump. I am going to put that into the old tank to get the bacteria started.

lmforbis

Built the stand after work today. Just the structural part. I've built a few of these in the past so it only took a couple hours. I will skin it after I take delivery on the tank. I need to paint it to seal the wood in the next couple days. the tank should be delivered to my preferred fish store next Friday. It is a 40 mile drive but work is halfway so hopefully I can cut out of work early to get it.
I also need to build the hood before I can transfer anything but the rocks.