120 help

joker_ca

ok i just got a 120g aquarium and now i have the time and money to setup a reef, im wondering what kind of lights i should go with Metal halides or VHO, eventually i want to put a anomone in the aquarium i believe its 18" deep

joker_ca

i was worried about MH making the water warmer, that would mean i would have to get a chiller and i dont want to spend $700 on a chiller

rujelus22

As long as the MH are high enough off the water and you have some fans it shouldn't heat up your tank that much, but I still like my VHO's heres some pics of mine

wangotango

id go with the VHO, unless you wanted sps. you can probably get 6 or 7 bulbs over a 120, but you may want some fans.

joker_ca

i want to do some zoos, mushrooms, but i mostly want to put a anomone into the tank.
i have been looking at a 2 250MH w/ 96w pc retrofit but its only 48" long not the lenght of the tank (60"), i would rather put vho's into the canopy but i keep hearing that if u want a anomone that u need MH.... REJELUS22 what size is your aquarium?

rujelus22

Mines a 55 it's 18 inches deep and the ligths are 4" above the tank, I have had my sebae in there for about 9 months now, and the long tentacle for 6 months. my sebae is really happy and doing well. When i bought it, it was bleached and now it has all of it's color back. And I have t5 HO sorry not VHO. for the price and benefits you can't beat them.