120 Q's

rickross23

hi. i bought 120 gallon for $1000 used. great deal i think, tell me what you think. came with T5 lighting, with moonlights and LEDs, dont know what name is, 300ish lbs of LR, 2 powerheads, tank, stand, 2 overflow boxes built in, 30ish gallon sump and refuge,box full of supplements, sump light, serpent star, 2 clarkii clowns ( traded fish for store credit at LFS), and other miscellaneous gear.
heres my wanted reef list, please give me pointers
ocellaris or gold stripe maroon clown pair,
BJ Trigger male,( are these reef safe?)
5-6 chromis,
mandarin dragonet
pipefish
spotted mandarin drag
2 neon gobies
christmas wrasse
cleaner wrasse?
would this work? thanks

E

eric b 125

I think that pipefish need to be in a species only tank or with seahorses. A pipefish wouldn't stand a chance with a trigger and would have difficulty feeding with faster fish.

rickross23

Veto the triggerfish, how about regal tang? I don't know how to upload a pic of the tank from my EVO phone to the website.. would the regal work?

deejeff442

bj will eat shrimp,no one the pipefish +1 species only or with seahorses.only one dragnet and that would be down the road once the tank is mature with pods breeding,cleaner wrasses have a dismal life rate in a tank unless you really know what you are doing and have a mature system.two clowns might fight.
looks like a good deal you got on the system though

sweatervest13

At first I thought you got hosed on the price. But after reading all the stuff that came with it you got a very nice deal. Shoot, just the live rock alone at $2.50/lb (x's 300 lbs) is $750.00.
Agreed on the pipefish, species only or with seahorses. For the chromis I would start with more then you think you want in the tank. I have a 125g and have 5 chromis in mine, but I started with 7 and only 5 made it out of the QT (7-8 weeks of QT). They are super cool to watch school, and they have done a great job at getting my other fish swimming around the entire tank. Before my clown would just stay in a back corner. LOL
I think that a regal tang gets real big. Not sure if the 120 is large enough. What are some other tangs you like?

acrylic51

The Bluejaw trigger is considered 1 of the more reef safe and could possible work out.......Cross Hatch Triggers are another common Trigger added to a reef tank.

rickross23

Maybe a yellow tang? Also, I might get the bj triggerfish if its living with shrimp and other cuc. I dont want the bj eatin my crew that I spend 100s of $ on. What's better- regal or bj triggerfish for my 120 reef tank?

deejeff442

my bj trigger didnt bother the snails or hermits.but made short time of my shrimp.but i dont find shrimp very usefull.i would pass on the yellow tang ,if you ever want a 2nd tang the yellow will probably beat it up.i have 4 tangs and they all get along perfect.
sailfin,blue hippo,blond naso and an orange shoulder

deejeff442

i never had a regal but have read they are very aggressive.you can do it but dont plan on anymore tangs.

deejeff442

um any fish can carry ich.i dont know why people think tangs are the big ich magnet.if its in the system they will all get it

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/390855/120-qs#post_3463503
I dont want ick in my tank so idk about the regal.. I might chance a bjt or maybe a yellow tang?
If you don't want ick, then QT all new additions for a minimum of 6 weeks. Then again, there are never any guarantees.

deejeff442

true acrylic,but if a tang has ich who would just pull the tang out and leave the others?there is a 100% chance that any fish can bring in ich.either they have it or dont.i wouldnt skip on a fish because they say it is an ich magnet.they all need to be suspect of it.

rickross23

Ik, but a triggerfish is hardier than a rang because of their tough skin making them hardy. Is there any ways to keep triggerfish from eating cuc and shrimps that you guys know of?

deejeff442

ich kills a fish by getting into their gills.how does a tougher skin matter?
the word is if you have the cuc and shrimp in the tank before the trigger they stand a better chance