125 Build - starting to get some traction

R

richard kagen

After a couple of false starts and delays, we are starting to get some traction. I got a great deal on the mega-flow 125 with plumbing kits, lights, pumps and heaters from the LFS who is just getting started and trying to build traffic. We are planning on using a 55 long as a sump.
It will be a FOWLR, aggressive carnivore
Current status:
1 ) Stand is mostly built: it is huge and maybe a bit overbuilt (8 4x4's with 2x6 top and bottom frames, 2x4 inserts and 3/4 plywood back and floor - ok way overbuilt)
2) First batch of live rock is cooking in a tub (50 lbs of base and 10 live with power head, airstone and heater). I threw in some old frozen brine shrimp
3) Second batch of Marco rock (50 lbs) should arrive on Monday
4) Drip/filter media drawer is built
5) Mini bioballs are here

[hr]
Next steps:
1)Finish the stand and lug it up 2 flights (that's why it is so overbuilt, second floor over my office)
2)Finish the custom wet/dry (5 gallons of mini bioball and 15 lbs of LV rubble
3)Finish the sump- 3 socks, 2 returns, 3 heaters, protein skimmer chamber and large fuge
I will put up some pictures later.
Looking for ideas on automatic makeup water systems. Presently thinking about a 12 volt marine bilge pump with float switch using a transformer. Mounting the switch upside down on a piece of acrylic.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...971&id=1124875
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...130&id=1284861

R

richard kagen

I also turn wood and over on their message board they say, "no picture, never happened"
THe stand is upside down for painting in these pictures, the front and ends of the stand will be Maple with 3 doors. It is extra high, wide and deep for plenty of room to work underneath and stability as the tank sits 3 inches in from all of the edges.

florida joe

I am assuming the pic with to verticals is the front. IMO you will thank me if you can put a header in for support and either leave to two center ones out or if you are using them for stops for your doors make them removable to have a nice open access to your equipment

R

richard kagen

Making progress. Very happy with the sump and wet dry.
Pretty proud of the heater rack, looks cool
All of the plumbing parts on hand. Hope to have water in within a week
Picked up 24 x 29" doors for the stand at Ikea for $33 a door. Three from the front and 2 for the ends.

R

richard kagen

The doors are still wrestling us a bit and will need to be raised to clear the carpet.
Man the stand was heavy, good thing my 15 year old is so motivated to get it into his room and the boy is a beast.
Plumbing will need a bit of adjusting, but the overall plan seems sound

R

richard kagen

What's a little purple PVC primer on the rug amongst friends? SWMBO is pretty cool about it.
I do not know how people build these out with the standard sized stands. We are struggling with getting it all under with 36” of free height under monster stand. Ended up with the little down up twist on the manifold but given that we stepped up to 2” pipe I am not too worried about flow:
Two 1.25” drains into a 2” pipe with four 1” outlets. Three into the soxs and one into the wet dry.

spanko

Nice. So does the water from the tank, to the sump, enter the sump tank in two places - the biomedia side and the skimmer side?

R

richard kagen

thanks. having a bit of a diatom bloom, but I guess that is to be expected. Now onto rebuilding the sump for the 60+30 system

R

richard kagen

A couple of little float swithes from ----
Extention cord
Some heat shrink tubing
Acrylic scraps
and the control side was done. Using an aqua lifter and a 5 gallon bucket. We will see how long 5 gallons last come winter when evaporation really kicks in
----
how cute is this little bugger