125 gal. in a F.R.O.G.???

seadazed

I've run across a deal on a 125gal. tank. The problem is the only place I can put it is in my F.R.O.G. My house is less than 2 years old and the tank will be placed up against an exterior wall and perpindicular to the floor joists. If I remember correctly the floor joists are 2"x10" on 16" centers. One concern is that the will be directly over my garage door openings. It's a 2 door garage and the tank will be centered between the two doors (in the FROG of course). Once finished the floor will have to support the tank, stand and 40 gal. sump. According to All-Glass the tank and water will weigh 1480 lbs. (don't know if that's SW or FW). The 40 gal sump will weigh a max of 450 lbs between the tank and water. And the stand will probably be about 100 lbs. So total I'm looking at about 2100 lbs. as a max weight my floor will have to support (also added a 10 gal. top-off resevoir in that calculation).
So will it do it or will I have trouble? I figure the only thing I have going for me is that the 2100 lbs. will be dispersed over a 6' span. LMK what you think/experienced and TIA.

fishkid13

Don't get really of what you are trying to ask.
But I guess yes it should hold up over that amount of space. I have for instance a 135+55(probably 35gal though) + water in all of the pipeing + weight of rock and sand all in a 6 foot area with regular house cross beams and 2 4x4 post and a 2x4 running across from it for extra support, and with a 84+sump and waterbed on either side of it. I think you should be ok, but you could just put a few posts with a board running across and not have to even worry about it. Still didn't get all of what you were saying and this probably didn't help but I don't mind,.

dragonzim

If it's an exterior wall it should be load bearing and there is most likely a vertical support beam between the 2 garage doors, which you say the tank will be directly over. You should not have any problems.