125 gallon help

scott270

I am wanting to set up a 125 in my apartment. I had a 75 and it was fine on the 2nd floor in my old apartment and I was wondering if a 125 would be too much weight on the 2nd floor.

sfoister

I would never put a 125 in my apartment, but not because of weight. I'd be so paranoid all the time that it would leak and the people below me would drown or something.. lol
I have a 72g bowfront on the 3rd floor and I have to lie to my apartment complex and tell them that it's a 55. They don't allow anything over 50 gallons.

scott270

Ok, so what do you think of this set up for a 125
125 gallon tank w overflow
2 overflow accessory kits
proclear 125 wet/dry filter
quiet one 6000 pump
coralife 125 super skimmer
300 w heater
lights to be decided

seannmelly

if your going fowlr just like 260 watt or around here of pcs will do fine. i would upgrade the skimmer to the 220 model or w/e it is. you will need more skimming for more fish

Yes, if you're gallonage is the max the filter/skimmer will handle, you might want to bump up to the next size. Too much filtration is better than not enough.

i used to have just a 46 gal on the second floor and i hated it. that is the main reason i bought a one story house. everytime i would walk fast or move you could see the water swaying.

baloo6969

i had a 55 in college...on the 19th floor, the Penthouse...and it empied out to the 3rd floor one weekend. It's a bad time if you dont own the apparments below you.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by baloo6969
i had a 55 in college...on the 19th floor, the Penthouse...and it empied out to the 3rd floor one weekend. It's a bad time if you dont own the apparments below you.

ahh woops lol

i would think that a 125 gal would weight about 600lbs or so. one gallon wieghts......3-4lbs. i am just guessing but that give you a good idea.

scott270

Ok, well this was the set up my lfs told me to get. I have never set up a tank this big and I was wondering how you go about doing it. I had a 75 with the emperor 400. My ? is what do I do with the pump, skimmer, and wit/dry filter? How does it all fit together. The tank I want is predrilled on both sides. Thanks for the help

nigerbang

Originally Posted by floatingfish
i would think that a 125 gal would weight about 600lbs or so. one gallon wieghts......3-4lbs. i am just guessing but that give you a good idea.
I think the one gallon weight is around 8lbs..

seannmelly

so you have to plum your sump to the overflows with either pvc or flex tubing. your skimmer will go in your sump if you have enough room. he return pump goes in the sump also and returns the water to the tank

Originally Posted by floatingfish
I gallon of water accually weighs more like 8 or 9 Pounds. which puts the tank at just over 1000 pounds.