125 Gallon.. Move Question.. HELP PLEASE

S

salth2osmoker

Hi I have a 125 gallon tank, its been set up for about a month and a half now but all it has in it is 2 clown fish so far I was about to add 100lbs of live rock. Anyway I was wondering how much water I could take out of my tank without my tank crashing or going into re-cycle and killing my fish.. Thank you

C

calvertbill

Removing water doesn't cause any systemic changes at all.
If, on the other hand, you're asking if you can finish curing the rock in your DT...bad idea! Your clowns won't like you if they survive! Put your LR in a spare tank or trash can with an air stone or a PH, add some water from a partial water change and a tiny piece of market shrimp, et voila!

S

salth2osmoker

so I can take out as much water as needed ? I am currently curing my rock in 2 30 gallon buckets with power headers gona leave it in there for a week and change the water about half way threw..

kaingers

Leave enough water to cover your sand bed. Your sand is likely holding on to some good bacteria and you want to keep it wet. With that said, its going to be heavy!

jcarroll

Removing water doesn't reduce salt level or any other level, it just reduces the water level. Adding water is the same as long as it's the same salinity. It's just a change in the water level. When you top off, you use plain water, no salt in it, just in case you didn't know. It's the water that evaporates, not the salt. If the rocks have been in a tank at a fish store, I would just put them on in. That's what I do and don't have any problems. But, if you're worried about the fish, I would put them in a rubbermaid bin, fill it with saltwater so they're covered, put a powerhead in the bin, and let them cure.

kaingers

Your question was about moving your 125 right...? I think you are throwing everyone for a loop saying that you were going to add LR.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by Jcarroll
http:///forum/post/2971763
But, if you're worried about the fish, I would put them in a rubbermaid bin, fill it with saltwater so they're covered, put a powerhead in the bin, and let them cure.

S

salth2osmoker

yeah, im just trying to push it out a few feet on one side so I can fit a 30-40 gallon tank under it with my protien skimmer for a little refugi...