125 Gallon Set up HELP

Dan808z

I have a 125 gallon tank. Just purchased fluval fx6 canister filter. 80 lbs substrate. I want to get a salt water tank going, no live reef or anything just eventually some clowns/tangs etc. Please if anyone could let me know what I need to get to start the ecosystem going such as skimmer, type of salt, etc. I heard I need to get damsels once levels are right any info on that would be awesome too! Thanks in advance for your time!

Any info on lighting tips would be awesome too! I know LED is the thing now but not sure if best for tank?

Last edited:

geridoc

There is lots of objective (no sales pitch or interest) advice available here, but we need to know more about your goals. Will the system be FOWLR, reef, advanced reef, etc? Even budget goals matter.

Dan808z

There is lots of objective (no sales pitch or interest) advice available here, but we need to know more about your goals. Will the system be FOWLR, reef, advanced reef, etc? Even budget goals matter.
Thanks, fish only I was wondering if I even need live rock? Budget no big deal I just want to start off with a simple salt water tank.

jay0705

Need? No. Want? Hell yes!!!! It makes keeping sw sooo much easier. Do a bulk of base rock and seed w a few pounds of live

Dan808z

Live rock it will be! Do I need a skimmer or more power heads you think with the FX6? I would like to know quick what to get to get the system running and live rock growing

Last edited:

lmforbis

Definitely power heads. I have 4 power heads in my 125. Two are 800 gph and two are 1200 gph. They are placed 1 on each end and two on the back wall.

Dan808z

Thank you all for your replies very helpful. I have some rock I think some were live and some seem like old coral etc. How would I go about curing these? I just got my substrate and want to know how to proceed like I said I am patient and will wait months if needed. I also have some driftwood I hear that may not be so good for tank? Gonna be a FOWLR tank.

Dan808z

Is one Sicce Voyager 3 1200gph good enough if I have the Fluval FX6 canister? I here the fluval will really move things. I am not planning on a crazy amount of rock or fish to begin with

lmforbis

Power heads do t need to be fancy expensive ones. I have 4 cheap sun sun power heads that work great and have been going strong for at least 3 years. Cost around $30 for all of them. I have two that I use every day the others I use in my QT when I have it up and going.

Dan808z

Thanks! The FX6 pumps out 950 g per hour, so for the power heads how much gph would be ideal for each one and how many of those? Imforbis I saw you had 2 800 and 2 1200

Looks like I'm gonna need to invest in a RODI too :( I was looking at the
6-Stage Aquarium Reef Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System (RO/DI) | 100 GPD Membrane
any comments on that?

lmforbis

I have a 5 stage unit from BRS. Not a real pricy one and I have it set up for drinking water too (just the RO part, the DI is only for the fish. You shouldn't drink DI. I've been told you can get good refurbished units from Spectrapure for a very reasonable price. I have 75 gpd which is a decent amount for a 125. It is a pain for the first time you fill the tank.
For power heads. The more flow the better. It helps prevent things from settling on the rocks and sand. They sell some that have variable speeds. I also like to have chaotic flow so they are set up to flow into each other. There is a lot of flow on the reefs in nature the fish do great which it. I'd go for at least 1000 gph each. More would be better. They don'tt have to be expensive. I have 4 800 gpd sunsun cheap power heads that I bought on Amazon for around $30 for all 4. Those are my 800 gpd power heads. I have had 2 going in my 125 for 3 years or so do problems. The others are used as needed in my QT.
In the 120 I am setting up now, It is 5' long so shorter than my old 125,I have 2 Sicce voyager Stream pumps (1600 gph) controlled by the Sicce Wave Controller. I also have a Gyre on the back wall. Just filled the tank on Saturday so I haven't had time to set up the controller.

beaslbob

I have a 125 gallon tank. Just purchased fluval fx6 canister filter. 80 lbs substrate. I want to get a salt water tank going, no live reef or anything just eventually some clowns/tangs etc. Please if anyone could let me know what I need to get to start the ecosystem going such as skimmer, type of salt, etc. I heard I need to get damsels once levels are right any info on that would be awesome too! Thanks in advance for your time!

Any info on lighting tips would be awesome too! I know LED is the thing now but not sure if best for tank?
IMHO the best way to establish an eco system is using algae either macro algae or an algae turf scrubber. Usually in a refugium which can just be a simple partition to keep the livestock and algae separate.

Also to start a tank to me the best method is to use common FW male mollies. Once you can acclimate them to salt and get them to live for 2-3 weeks your tank is well on its way for the more expensive and delicate marine only fish.

my .02

Dan808z

Am I being totally crazy going with the FX6 canister for a saltwater? I read a lot of old threads saying so. Not sure if canister technology has improved... I do not want a trouble with a sump, cannot risk any type of overflow. Once again it will be a basic FOWLR with live rock