125 on Carpet with padding......

sarge

Any problem with putting a 125g tank (glass) on top of carpet & padding? I did a search and could not really find much other than people using carpet for leveling.
I want to put this in my basement but where I want to put it there is carpet.
Thanks for any infomation.

wesa

Mine 125 is on carpet in my family room. It's not been a problem at all. With all the weight of the tank that carpet & pad will just flatten out.

sarge

Thanks for the reply. My main concern was stability. I guess over time it would just flatten out.

wesa

The minute you add, rock, sand & water you've got about 1000+ lbs. Carpet/pad on a concrete floor shouldn't be a problem unless the concrete isn't level. If that were the case then' I'd be going after a contractor. Doubt you'll have a problem at all. When you move the stand to the spot you want check it with a level. If it's good to go then the rest is a breeze. Have fun & enjoy it. Post some pix when you get it set up.

oxbeard

Don't forget about the tack strip around the perimeter of the room. You'll need to make sure the tank is far enough from the wall that it is not sitting on the strip or it could throw it out of level. If it is in a basement, I would likely check for the levelness of the floor anyway. I know in our basement, we have a drain in the floor and the concrete has a slight slope to that drain.