125 owners lights

jermpool

I was wandering what lights you have on your 125 gallon tanks for reef. Here is the one I have been looking at. Any comments on this unit?
"Space-saving unit performs the job of three different fixtures. Combines 10000°K HQI double-ended metal halide, actinic blue compact fluorescent, and 1-watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps in a low profile anodized black aluminum housing. External remote electronic ballast(s) with independent on/off switches for convenient 24-hour day and night lighting conditions. 15" x 2-3/4" high. Square pin compact fluorescent bulbs. "
"Features: Highly polished reflectors, built-in cooling fan(s), acrylic compact fluorescent lens cover and glass HQI lens cover(s), and heavy-duty mounting legs. Includes appropriate number of HQI double-ended bulbs, compact fluorescent bulbs, and Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED lamps. "
http://www.**************.com/Produc...&N=2004+113352

jer4916

Lights are a touchy subject...because depending on what kind you get...you may need a chiller to keep your tank at the proper temp.
but i personally run
hamilton lighting retro fit
2 400watt MH 20k
4 power compacts (attinic) 20k
If you get those lights, your tank will ROCK.
~Chris

jer4916

Lights are a touchy subject...because depending on what kind you get...you may need a chiller to keep your tank at the proper temp.
but i personally run
hamilton lighting retro fit
2 400watt MH 20k
4 power compacts (attinic) 20k
If you get those lights, your tank will ROCK.
~Chris

jermpool

I haven't really thought about needing a chiller. I guess I need to do some more research before I decide. Where is the best place online to get lights?

thegrog

I have thre 175w MH pendants over my tank. Running 20,000K bulbs and thus have no need for actinic lighting. In the summer, I simply have a fan blowing across the surface of the water and no problems with heat.

jer4916

Originally Posted by TheGrog
I have thre 175w MH pendants over my tank. Running 20,000K bulbs and thus have no need for actinic lighting. In the summer, I simply have a fan blowing across the surface of the water and no problems with heat.

I run 4, 20k actinic power compacts and 2 400 watt mh at 20k as well... i have to run fans 24/7 and a fan on my fuge to keep my tank at a stable temp....
it all depends on your tank and what kind of heat your lights produce...
remember temp changes are hard on corals, and harder on fish...easiest way to give a fish ich or stress them out is to change there temp dramaticly
~Chris

sundance1

I have a 3x250 watt MH and 4x96 watt PC lighting on my 125 w/no chiller,the temp stays right around 79 degrees.The light came with 6" legs and moon lights.the price was right around $800.