125 tank diary

ca161406

Ok well after the awful ordeal with the LFS and them trying to scam us out of almost $300 we decided to just say forget it and get our money back. sooo i went back in search for something used/ cheeper...i stumbled across a 125 with almost everything for $750.. but then got it down to $650. we put a deposit on the tank and are picking it up in 1/2 weeks(ish) here are some pics i snapped of the tank when i went2 take a look at it. set up includes: tank, stand, canopy, lighting, sump, heaters, chiller, 10gal qt, a bunch of timers and power strips, and assorted nick nacs. o and alst a bunch of FW decor
Heres the tank. Theres some small scratches that i need to buff out. nothing to big

Plumbing from the overflows

Sump

After some cleaning and ditching the bio balls it should be nice and sparkely haha. so ill post updates as we go along, i was thinking about finnishing the wood in a nice black but its in good cond. so i wasnt sure yet. im planning on it being FOWLR so hopfully all goes well

maddog0118

do blue if u decide to paint it...i put black paper on the back firstto see if i woud like it...i hated it....so now it blue..seems to me to bring the fishes color out more

A

arlene1995

The tank looks good! I got my 125 used, too! Do you have a wish list yet? I'm along for the ride!

rumrunner

I have a 125g that I really enjoy. What kind of setup are you going for?
Give us more details. I love hearing about new tanks. Have fun with it.

ca161406

Originally Posted by maddog0118
http:///forum/post/2711273
do blue if u decide to paint it...i put black paper on the back firstto see if i woud like it...i hated it....so now it blue..seems to me to bring the fishes color out more
am i able to paint it? cuz the back piece is black acrylic? i have one of my tanks black and one blue and i like both equal. so itll be a rock paper scissors type thing lol
The tank looks good! I got my 125 used, too! Do you have a wish list yet? I'm along for the ride!
awesome, yeah i do actually haha. i have my 2 gsp's that will be the second addition to the tank
the first after the cycle will be either a snowflake or zebra. just because i cant keep them in my qt without them getting out.
but my list in mind was:
2 gsp's (already in my 20gal)
zebra or SFE
stars and stripes or striped dogface
humu
male blue jaw
hawk of some sort...thinking blood hawk
and some fillers maybe.
i would really like a golden puffer so i can name it homer haha
but thats too much $$ so ill either get the sas or striped dogface
I have a 125g that I really enjoy. What kind of setup are you going for?
Give us more details. I love hearing about new tanks. Have fun with it.
im going with FOWLR. ill post all i know about it in a bit, i gotta dig up the list of stuff i wrote down haha. but i know im going to need some help with the overflow/sump/return set up
its my first sump set up lol

A

arlene1995

Your wish-list looks good! My 125 is a Predator tank or else I'd have, say a school of small fish in there. Anything three inches and less is considered dinner to my fish! I love the Stars and Stripes and the Striped Dogface puffers! I can't wait to see it with water and fish! Good luck!

aquaknight

Good lord that's a lot of bio-balls! Looking forward to the progess. Definitely would vote to either paint everything black or sand the stand/canopy and do a modern cherry (
) wood stain or another color. Not to be offensive, but the current color screams 80's....

ca161406

yeah thats why im bummed because i would like to have some kinda goby to perch on the rocks lol. maybe a blenny would be fine? hmm.
yeah i know i plan on ditching them. and i am actually ditching that sump completely and making my own bigger one. i have a glass 45 and an acrylic 55 that are collecting dust i may convert into a nice sump, i have the design already so it would be just making it...hmm what to do lol.
and yeah although its in good cond. the black would go best in my room cuz all my furniture is black and chrome. i like the cherry stain but it just wouldnt match :/.
were gonna pick it up when my moms check posts so that will be in the next two weeks(haha she promised shed pay half for a tank foe me) . meanwhile i may go ahead and make the sump. and i have some cash laying around from the money i got back from the LFS so i might get the skimmer too.
any good skimmers for under $250 out there? i know not to skimp on the skimmer but i was wondering if theres any out there. i had these in mind
Fission Power Skimmer 220gal: Regular $190 now on sale for $130
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20080203173922/www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-32815-42381-fish-filter.jpg
Coralife Super Skimmer 200gal: $207
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20060728165630/www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_22940_30485D.jpg
Berlin X2 Turbo 225gal: regular $219 on sale $187
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20080429165627/www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-33924-44392-fish-supply.jpg
those are just some i found for a good price
i really like the berlin i read up on it the most and like the reviews ive seen and the compact size of it too. this is the profile of the skimmer
http://www.redseafish.com/berlin.asp

ca161406

ok so i realized today our 45 i was thinking about using for our sump was a reptile aquarium
i filled it with water and its been holding for about 5 hours with no leaks...im wondering if it would be safe to use..hmm or maybe i can go over the edges with silicon to be extra safe?

bioneck47

you can find a lot better skimmer than the ones above for less than $250. You might have to get one used but the ones you listed aren't very good. Maybe the super skimmer but that's it. I've had one in the past and they're ok, but not great. I'd go with an asm or octopus if you can find one in your price range.

rort

ASM G2 Skimmer!!!
If you have the money they are the best skimmers ever. I have seen them anywhere from $250-300 but if you can find one used it would be cheaper!

ca161406

i found several sited that have it for under $270 that include shipping woo! lol i think that what i will be going with.
any feed back about the 45? ill post pics tonight if i can get around to it. i just dont want2 turn an acrylic 55 into a sump. because i might want 2 make a small reef later on. hmm

rort

a 55g refugium is pretty big... I would honestly keep that for back up or to start another tank like what you are talking about.
maybe turn it into a frag tank?

I think the 45 is perfect for the size tank you have
Edit: totally didnt read your entire post. My friend tried that same thing and it work but he did add more silicon like you were asking! But like with anything be careful...

aquaguy24

i have a aqua c ev-120 for my 90g and love it..rarely have to adjust it. u might wanna go with the ev-180..they go for around $340...Plus pump..

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/2716134
i have a aqua c ev-120 for my 90g and love it..rarely have to adjust it. u might wanna go with the ev-180..they go for around $340...Plus pump..

I love my Aqua C EV 240 (I would recommend the 180 for you). Easy to operate, high output. They also have a great technical support, I have sent a few emial ?s to them and had them answered immediately.
Don't "skimp" on a skimmer, its the best money you can spend in this hobby imo.
Agree with Bioneck, the ones you listed above with pictures are not going to make you happy long term.

ca161406

ok im going 2 look into both of those and see what the pros/cons of each are and goin 2 do some price searching too :)
i think im going 2 reinforce the 45 just to be safe. depending if i like the way the sump that comes with it.
i was thinking of getting a quiet one 4000 or 6000 depending on what the gph of the overflows are when i take a better look at it.
and for substrates i was thinking a mix of: 40lbs seafloor special grade sand and 40lbs arag-alive special grade sand. is that a good mix?
im going out tuesday to pay the deposit and am picking up some of the equipment to begin cleaning so pics will be up within a few days

A

arlene1995

The QueitOne series pumps are really good. I have a 4000 and a 4000HH on my 125 and they are dead-silent.

ca161406

awesome i guess that will be the way too go. we went today and payed the deposit but i forgot to check the diameter of the overflows
lol had too much on my mind

ca161406

ok this build hasn't died. just a lil pushed back. we have to pay the rest of the tank off and i can bring it home. i have about $500 accumulated right now but my parents want that to go to get it running and they will pay all of the $ from the guy.
buut today i decided to clean out the 45 thats been sitting so i can seal up the si really good. so i busted out the vinegar

i get it all cleaned up and nice.(except the lil spot on the inside. needed to be removed with razor blade) and i was gonna run to lowes to get some si and acrylic sheets to start the sump build and my dad freaks out saying he dont want a reptile tank to be under there even if i seal it. soooo. bleh
now my debate is if i should build a rubbermaid sump or just go pick up a 45 from the LFS to build it nice. i really wanted to spend the $ i have on LR LS and the skimmer so im kinda in a pickle right now haha....any advice?