125g (170g system) on the 2nd story?

jpc763

For all of you structural engineers out there...
I currently have a 55g (70g system) with oak cabinet & hood on the 2nd story of my house. Structurally it is fine. Based on saltwater weighing about 8.5lbs per gallon and assuming 100lbs of other stuff, I figure it weighs about 700 lbs.
I am interested in upgrading to a 125 (70g system) in the same (or similar) location. Making the same assumptions (but doubling the weight of the other stuff), I am now up to 1600 lbs.
Can a standard home handle that kind of weight? The room in question is over the garage and there is a steel cross member running perpendicular to where I would place the tank.
Thanks, John

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by jpc763
http:///forum/post/2630817
For all of you structural engineers out there...
I currently have a 55g (70g system) with oak cabinet & hood on the 2nd story of my house. Structurally it is fine. Based on saltwater weighing about 8.5lbs per gallon and assuming 100lbs of other stuff, I figure it weighs about 700 lbs.
I am interested in upgrading to a 125 (70g system) in the same (or similar) location. Making the same assumptions (but doubling the weight of the other stuff), I am now up to 1600 lbs.
Can a standard home handle that kind of weight? The room in question is over the garage and there is a steel cross member running perpendicular to where I would place the tank.
Thanks, John
Yes as long as the stand has no feet to poke through the floor

lazy k

I've had mine setup on the second floor of my house for several months now. I set it up to run perpendicular to the floor joists instead of running parallel, I believe this gives a better distribution load on the floor. I also built the stand to distribute the load across the entire footprint of the 125 gallon tank, there are no direct pressure points on the floor.

bgbdwlf2500

go across as many floor joists as possible (not parallel to them as already said) and if you keep it close to an outside wall the weight holding capacity is greater. i braced my 120 since the floor below it is the basement and the floor is concrete..i added 3 4x4 braces and when the tank was filled it only loaded up 1 of them...
i wouldnt worry about the structural engineers - all they will do is confuse you with book smarts and all you need is common sense

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500
http:///forum/post/2632214
go across as many floor joists as possible (not parallel to them as already said) and if you keep it close to an outside wall the weight holding capacity is greater. i braced my 120 since the floor below it is the basement and the floor is concrete..i added 3 4x4 braces and when the tank was filled it only loaded up 1 of them...
i wouldnt worry about the structural engineers - all they will do is confuse you with book smarts and all you need is common sense

If hes sitting on top of the I beam in the garage he wont have to add any support at all.Maybe just a few squash blocks but nothing more than that.

u should be fine given your description. floors are designed to hold
the same weight if they are the 1st or the 5th. just span as many
floor joists as possible.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2633268
If hes sitting on top of the I beam in the garage he wont have to add any support at all.Maybe just a few squash blocks but nothing more than that.
youre right, it will be fine. i dont think i needed any either but i feel better having the support there.