125gallon reef sumps setup

davebrace5533

Hey all i just got a new 125gallon im going to make into a reef. i just installed a glassholes' 1500gph overflow(drilling was way easier than i thought although the overflow sits about 1/8-1/16 of an ich lower than the other lol) there are 2 holes with 1 3/4 inch clear vinyl running into a seprate sump each one 30 gallon tank i converted to a sump and one 30 gallon acrylic store bought sump. so tell me what yall think, as with all my tanks i want as natural of a filtration setup as possible.

spanko

I would not put rockrubble in the sections that the overflow goes into the sumps. It will trap detritus that will not be easily cleaned out.
JMO

posiden

Why do you only have one detruius trap? Or is it only labled in the one drawing?
I would link the two sumps together. With two drains going into two separet sumps, with two separet return pumps.........should one pump fail you will have a flood or run the other pump dry causing it to burn up. Your drains wont know or care if one of the pumps stops. The one pump, will pump water and the drains will run at a reduced rate. The issue is that the level of water at the drains doesn't change so, water will continue to drain into the sump with the broken pump. With the two linked together, the only water being drained into the sump will be pumped by the good pump. So if you have done the back siphon homework corectly, there will be no worries.

davebrace5533

thanks guys yea the debri filter is only marked on the one but will be in both, also i have decided to link both sumps together via drilling the side and using 2" pvc 2 inches above the water line while the pumps are running so if one pump goes out the excess water will simply flow through that sump and into the next one