12dx SKIMMER mod

jacksdad

As some of you may have seen I made a skimmer for the 24NC. After some modification I have made the same mod for the 12NC. It may also work on the 6, but I'm not sure of the location of the intake on the 6. I will need to do more research on that.
Here's the mod: Note the side facing the wall is straight and should fit snug against the glass.

T

tuningvis

very cool... i've been trying to think of an overflow type thing for my 10 glass
but haven't had much luck
do you make>sell those?
BTW how is your tank doing

jacksdad

Thanks,
Yes I am selling these. $30.00 plus shipping. Draw up a quick design for your 10 gal, maybe we could come up with something. Overall the tank is doing well. I'm fighting the never ending algae battle. I need to get some phosban. Other than that evrything is flurishing.
thanks,
Bob

T

tuningvis

you know i was fighting red slime for about 3 months then one day my lights didn't go on because they came unplugged on accident . i never noticed... the next night ... when the lights came on ... there was no trace of algea .. and there hasn't been for 3 months

115eagles

this is for jacksdad
I have herd about how crappy the 24g nano cubes are, and also how bad the filtration is. I was searously considering getting 2 of them for my living room, but don't want them to crack, and leak, or have numorus problems with settup, as a result of the supposadly crappy filtration system they have. Can you please email me, with some answers about how good or crappy they realy are, and weather or not I should just go to a big tank instead? I also was going to get 2-24g nano's because I thought it would be great foe some reef and small fish settups, and then great for hospital tanks later when I get my big tank. anyway, thanks for any input you can give me on this matter. Ryan C.
P>S what does the skimmer mod do and what are the benafets? Thanks.

jacksdad

115eagles:
I have had my 24NC since Feb. and have not had any problems with it what-so-ever. The filtration setup is not the best as far as filter media, but I would guess that JBJ needed to create a setup that was generic and would fit the needs of most people. Which it does. However, that being said it does have a couple of shortcomings. Inadequate filter pump, not enough lighting, and no really good way to skim the surface. Which brings me to the skimmer. Alot of people including myself used a cassette tape case over the intake on the first chamber. This creates a waterfall effect and breaks the surface tension which keeps the top of the water crystal clear. I wanted something that looked cleaner or more " stock " so I came up with my skimmer mod. Unfortunately over the weekend I found some problems with the design of the 12DX skimmer and have to go back to the drawing board for some modifications.
If you do decide on the Cube I would wait until the 2005 models come out. Check out Chris at nanocustoms.com
Hope this helps a little,
Bob

jacksdad

Here is a couple of pics. 24NC the slots in the second pic are not necessary to run the skimmer mod. I discovered a problem with the 12DX mod. the slots in the intake are much smaller than the 24 only .025 inch I am looking into different attachment methods.

jacksdad

Update:
Opted for magnets instead of screws. 2 magnets will be recessed into the posts of the skimmer and the other 2 will go behind the intake . Should have something to post by weeks end.
Bob

nyyankeees

Were those little slots that are cut out on the back wall of the cube, there when you got it or did you do that yourself? Just curious because I jus got a 12GDX 2 weeks ago and the back wall at "the sponge" chamber is just cut straight across, there are no slots? I would like to order one of your mods, but how would it work without those slots on the back wall? thanks. :confused:

jacksdad

I put those slots in right after I got my cube. It worked alright but, the water level had to be too high for my liking. The skimmer works just fine with those slots. Acually the water never touches that part of the wall. This skimmer was designed for those who haven't put in the slots in the back wall yet. But as I said it works equally well in both conditions.
Bob

nyyankeees

Thanks for your reply, I would like to purchase one of your skimmer mods, do you accept paypal payments? Please e-mail me the info, I have 12G nano cube DX....Yankeesgirl0307@netscape.net