12g NANO CUBE DX

jeffxsohn

i'm disappointed by this tank..... i had it for about 5 months
anyways... iwas reading and noticed something about bio balls? are they bad? should i take them out and put live rock in there instead?
if they aren't too good... how come?

jellybowl

I would take the balls out. I recall reading in the manual that they should be removed when going saltwater. Not sure why though.
I put some live rock back there....
What are you not satisfied with? I'm 90% good with mine, but wish it came with a stronger pump and multiple heads. I'll just have to modify it.

jeffxsohn

yea i added a powerhead because i didn't like the water flow... not too happy with the pump
i wish there was something to suck up all the debris... instead of the debris having to flow through the "hole"

clarkiiclo

There are mods you can do to skim the top. You can cut notches above the return hole OR do the cassette tape mod. The cassette tape works good but Im going to make one out of black acrylic because it is an eyesore.
Take the bioballs out yes. BE CAREFUL
I would take one of the foam blocks out and put as many of the bioballs over there.
Get some live rock pieces and put it in the open chamber.
Then over the course of a several weeks get the bioballs out. That way you dont remove all the good bacteria.
Also it is a good idea to upgrade the return pump and run a powerhead in the display.
Also a bag of chemi-pure works wonders.