14 gal tank with 2 Maroon Clowns and some Corals?

scott t

I was wondering if this would be possible 14 gal tank with 2 Maroon Clowns and some Corals? They I think would be the only fish in there... I would leave them there and not put them in my 46 gal BowFront when i get it...
Thanks!!

btldreef

It seems like I'm always the first one to comment on your posts, we must be on at the same time every night, LOL....
Anyways, You can do two clowns in a 14G, BUT, 2 maroons is a little much. Maroons need more room than perculas and ocellaris . They get bigger and are much more aggressive. Clarkiis, Maroons, Tomatoes, Cinnamons and Pink Skunks all need at least 30G, and if you're keeping a pair, I'd say 40G, especially with a Clarkii, Maroon or Tomato pair.
I had two Ocellaris in my 14G and they were very happy little fish. Also had a Green Clown Goby and a cleaner shrimp in it.
What type of 14G are you going with? I have an Oceanic BioCube and absolutely love it!
Good luck :)

scott t

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3156262
It seems like I'm always the first one to comment on your posts, we must be on at the same time every night, LOL....
Anyways, You can do two clowns in a 14G, BUT, 2 maroons is a little much. Maroons need more room than perculas and ocellaris . They get bigger and are much more aggressive. Clarkiis, Maroons, Tomatoes, Cinnamons and Pink Skunks all need at least 30G, and if you're keeping a pair, I'd say 40G, especially with a Clarkii, Maroon or Tomato pair.
I had two Ocellaris in my 14G and they were very happy little fish. Also had a Green Clown Goby and a cleaner shrimp in it.
What type of 14G are you going with? I have an Oceanic BioCube and absolutely love it!
Good luck :)
I am just going with a 14 Gal reg tank and going to add the filter and lights ECT.. The lights are the ones that you commented on the other night (96W PC)... As for the Filter havent decided yet but know it will be a HOB... Going with 20 lbs of live sand and about 12- 18 Lbs of live rock in it too (hope that is not too much) How much CUC will i need it that also if you can answer that? (what should i use for the CUC)
Yes you are the first one and sometimes the only one that Answers my post and i thank you very much for that... You are a good person....

cherylann

I have had two Maroon clowns in a 10 gal tank for several years with 4 rose tip anemones without problems. Just make sure you keep up on the H20 changes and the right light for the anemones. Maroon clowns are the most aggresive so I would not attempt to add anything else and the bioload is pushing the edge. Other than that they made a very nice display and provided me with years of pleasure.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3156276
I am just going with a 14 Gal reg tank and going to add the filter and lights ECT.. The lights are the ones that you commented on the other night (96W PC)... As for the Filter havent decided yet but know it will be a HOB... Going with 20 lbs of live sand and about 12- 18 Lbs of live rock in it too (hope that is not too much) How much CUC will i need it that also if you can answer that? (what should i use for the CUC)
Yes you are the first one and sometimes the only one that Answers my post and i thank you very much for that... You are a good person....

No problem. I wish I had known about this forum when I first started out instead of learning things the hard way.

As far as a CUC, here's what I did in mine:
3-5 Cerith Snails (at any given time one was dying/being killed by one of my hermits)
5 mexican hermit crabs (they stay smaller than scarletts and blue knuckles)
3 blue knuckle hermits (big waste, don't get them)
1 emerald crab (keep your eye on him, mine ate my coraline algae)
3-5 Astrea snails (again, hermits liked to steal their shells)
1-3 Nassarius snails (since they stay in the sand most of the time, they're less likely to be attacked for their shells, you'll barely see these guys once you add them to your tank, so don't spend the extra money on the "fancy" ones)
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
That's what I'd start with and then you can add as needed. I was always adding snails because I had blue knuckles that grew quickly and are horrible shell robbers! Stay away from any sort of turbo snail in that size tank, they'll just knock everything over and you'll want to pull all your hair out. I was quite happy when my blue knuckle finally stole the turbos shell, I hated the "redecorating" the snail was doing each day while I was at work.

scott t

Originally Posted by cherylann
http:///forum/post/3156284
I have had two Maroon clowns in a 10 gal tank for several years with 4 rose tip anemones without problems. Just make sure you keep up on the H20 changes and the right light for the anemones. Maroon clowns are the most aggresive so I would not attempt to add anything else and the bioload is pushing the edge. Other than that they made a very nice display and provided me with years of pleasure.
Thanks for your comment i think they are very Beautiful fish thats why i asked and thy along with Corals and CUC would be the only things in the tank...

scott t

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3156286
No problem. I wish I had known about this forum when I first started out instead of learning things the hard way.

As far as a CUC, here's what I did in mine:
3-5 Cerith Snails (at any given time one was dying/being killed by one of my hermits)
5 mexican hermit crabs (they stay smaller than scarletts and blue knuckles)
3 blue knuckle hermits (big waste, don't get them)
1 emerald crab (keep your eye on him, mine ate my coraline algae)
3-5 Astrea snails (again, hermits liked to steal their shells)
1-3 Nassarius snails (since they stay in the sand most of the time, they're less likely to be attacked for their shells, you'll barely see these guys once you add them to your tank, so don't spend the extra money on the "fancy" ones)
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
That's what I'd start with and then you can add as needed. I was always adding snails because I had blue knuckles that grew quickly and are horrible shell robbers! Stay away from any sort of turbo snail in that size tank, they'll just knock everything over and you'll want to pull all your hair out. I was quite happy when my blue knuckle finally stole the turbos shell, I hated the "redecorating" the snail was doing each day while I was at work.
THanks again that helps a lot to know what will be a good CUC in there... I want to let you I write all this down so when i get ready i have it all where i need it... LOL

btldreef

Originally Posted by cherylann
http:///forum/post/3156284
It can be done, but since you also have a larger tank, I say, put smaller fish in the 14G and put the maroons in your main tank. I wish I had kept my Ocellaris in my 14G because I really want Gold Bar Maroons, but I can't now that the others are in my 155 :-( The Maroons are a huge bio-load in a small tank, if you have the bigger tank, and you really want maroons, put them in the larger tank and save yourself the hassle, especially since you're new at this. You're also asking for an already aggressive fish to be even more aggressive since their territory is made so small by the small tank. I get nipped by my female every time I feed corals or clean the glass in a 155, do you really want to be nipped by two 4-6" fish every time you need to put your hand in the tank?

scott t

Yes, I think i will take your advice and wait until i have my 46 gal bowfront and then add the Maroon to it... So when i get ready to set that up and add fish i will have more questions i am sure thanks for all your help...