14G BioCube - Great Experience with Aqua Euro USA Chiller

kempobmx1

Hey all. I just wanted to share my great experience so far with the Aqua Euro USA 12g Chiller in my 14G BioCube in my office at work.
I know a lot of people end up looking for an inexpensive fix to temperature issues in a nano tank and I would say this is it.
The issue I was having was that, between the room temperature, heat from the tank lights, and sun light, my BioCube was reaching 85F during the day. Because of this I had my heater turned off all together so the temperature would then fall to 73F at night. Between the high fluctuation and the fact that coral can't survive long-term over 82F, I needed a fix.
I picked up an Aqua Euro USA chiller for $185 shipped. Since it requires an external pump to push water through it, I had a hard time figuring out where to fit a pump inside the limited space in the rear of the tank. In the end I removed the original pump and replaced it with a mini pump with a 290gph (@ 0ft) output. I put the pump in the left-most chamber and had it pump 36" down to the chiller on the floor, then the out-tube from the chiller came back up and I connected it directly to the tank return. It actually ended up being almost exactly the same flow rate out the return as there was with the original pump.
All in all this solution worked great and the only modification to the tank was that I Dremeled out a slot in the back of the tank lid for the tubing. This took all of 5 minutes and was very easy.
When I turned on the chiller, the tank temperature was 82.5F. I set the chiller to 75F to see how well it could chill and within an hour it was already down to 75.9 and dropping. I decided that was obviously good enough and set it up to 78 and there it stayed. I'm so sold on this chiller's ability that I'm actually getting one for my 29G BioCube at home, despite the chiller only being rated for 12g. So long as your chilling needs aren't extreme, I would say this one works on anything up to 30g. Not only can it heat and chill, the best part is that it just automates temperature management.
As a side note for anyone without room to put a pump in their tank: A cheap canister filter is a good, albeit more expensive, method for pumping water through the chiller and only requires you to have two 1/2" tubes running into the tank.
Hope this helps some people.
Zach

kempobmx1

I don't. Am I not permitted to offer a positive opinion of a product if I don't work for the company making it?
I had a really hard time figuring out how to solve my temperature problem in my BioCube so I figured others in a similar situation might appreciate some info on this chiller and it's ability. Many might be skeptical of the cheapest chiller on the market and might want to hear of someone's experience.
If you must know, I work for Marlboro Nissan, a MA Nissan dealership. I maintain the above-mentioned 14G there. http://blog.marlboronissan.com/.
Thanks for the input Speg...

nissan577

asking cause its pretty weird for a guy to say his experience on a item he bought, give all the information on how much he paid, and all this. usually they tell their experience, and a few pics.

kempobmx1

Haha. Well I'm new to the aquarium hobby. I'm used to sports car and airsoft forums. Maybe you guys do things differently here but when someone buys a car they really like or an expensive airsoft gun, they often opt to share their experience, including buying advice and specifics. Would you rather I not include the price?
My thinking was that an experienced hobbyist would probably already know all about chillers and would probably have money allocated for something bigger, better, and more expensive. I see you have over 13,000 posts. You're obviously far from new to aquariums. Try to think like someone with little to no experience. Not only might they understand very little about a chiller, but might not have a sense of how to make it work with their tank or how much they can expect to spend. I'm new to the hobby but found a good solution so I figured I'd share with other people with less experience than yourself.
I can tell you that a few weeks ago I would have loved to have read a post like mine above because it would have really simplified things for me. Before getting my chiller, chillers seemed like an intimidating prospect with their very high price-for-function and huge flow requirements (at least in my eyes since I think in terms of nano tanks).
To me the whole point of a forum isn't just to ask questions, but share helpful info. If that's not how you guys operate, maybe I'm on the wrong forum.

nissan577

even though i may have 13k post or more doesnt mean im not new to aquariums. mostly all the post is to help others and like you said share our experience. but its that we have seen so many people trying to promote their company and they write like how you write so we thought well i thought you were another one of them.
my mistake and hope your not offended at all.
its good to know the information but the thing is we dont post links on here. only from this website.
you are in the right forum, i just introduce myself in a bad way.
Hello and welcome to SWF

hope you stay and learn alot and share what you have experience along the way

kempobmx1

Good to know, I'll be sure not to post purchase links in future. I'm a member of an airsoft forum where essentially no one pays you any attention if you don't write with perfect grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I can see how my attempt at quality writing could be perceived as a sales pitch.
On a side note, just a friendly technical correction: 13k posts does
mean you're not new to aquariums as it takes a long time to accumulate that many. It just doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're doing (though I'm sure you do as I've seen a number of other posts by you).

kempobmx1

I'll try to get pics of the 14G up asap. Here's a video on my dealership's blog page http://blog.marlboronissan.com/2010/...-of-a-biocube/. This video was about two weeks ago so it's come a little ways since then.
My 29G at home is still in its beginning stages. It's been setup about 10 days and I just added another 20lbs of LR last night in addition to the 12lbs I had. It now has 11 hermits (various types) and 6 snails (various types). The 29 was well cycled but the 20lbs of LR I just added wasn't fully cured at my LFS. Usually they don't sell uncured LR but I dove head first into this hobby and I'm in my LFS once to twice a day between the two tanks so they sold it to me anyway and just said don't put any fish in until the inevitable ammonia spike settles out. I'm just itching to get my first two Ocellaris in the 29.
What kills me is that I have to wait 8-12 months before I'll have enough natural copopods to get a Blue Mandarin. Likewise with my tank at work to get a Spotted Mandarin. They both fascinate me.
By the way if you look at my second post in this thread, I linked to the overall blog page for my dealership. The most recent video of the tank is an HD video of my pistol shrimp excavating his cave. Very cool (we put music to it for fun).

kempobmx1

Ah yes, you need not worry. Once my tank it well established, I'm going to remove 1/2 the bioballs in the bio filter chamber of my 29 and turn the upper half into a mini refugium. My guy at the LFS said to wait 4-6 months before setting up the mini refugium.

nissan577

there is no need to wait. the faster you do it the faster you will and can get pods growing. it seems like your LFS is giving you some false info there

kempobmx1

My LFS plays everything on the safe and conservative side. Sometimes I disregard it and go with a more hasty approach but they haven't steered me wrong yet.

nissan577

well many other nano reefers here will agree with me that refugium is the best way to go now. reason is this:
if you leave the bioballs in there they will collect detritus which will become nitrates when you remove the balls and make a mess in the back.
if you add the chaeto now and the light your trates will be down. and things should be perfect

kempobmx1

Here's my 14G at work three weeks ago. I'll try to get an up-to-date picture asap as it's much different now.

Here's one of my Ocellaris posing for the camera. 'His' name is Gilbert, according to my co-worker's daughter.

Gilbert stirring up some substrate with Nemo behind him (yes I'm aware one will eventually be female and both have male names, haha).

Gilbert among some rubble.

Finally, my 29G. This is 24 hours after adding the remainder of the 35lbs of LR. None of my hermits are feeling especially photogenic right now. I have one that desperately wants to change shells but after inspecting all 10 shells at least twice each he won't pick one. Maybe I'll try to get a picture of him inspecting one.

nissan577

your picture shots are like woah!!!!
what camera do you have????
sweet lookoing 14g! and once again Gilbert stirring up the sand that pic is my favorite!

cranberry

Thank you Zach for the well explained post. Just turn the cheek on ignorant remarks, for your post was most helpful and informative for anyone in this situation.
Keep up the great posts.

nissan577

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3249090
Thank you Zach for the well explained post. Just turn the cheek on ignorant remarks, for your post was most helpful and informative for anyone in this situation.
Keep up the great posts.
i know i agree with you cran. my welcome was really mean and i am really sorry for that. it just there have been people that post like that when they work for them. once agian Im sorry zach and im sorry Cran