14g biocube, had it about year and half..change bulbs?

sinful

I never thought I needed to change the bulbs if they were still comming on. stupid me I guess huh? well, what does changing the bulbs do and should I change them after a year and a half(year and 3/4 really)

scout

Yes, if you have corals. I have seen every 6-8 months reccomended, though some people go longer. You can't necessarily see what light it is not giving them. Now if it is fish only I am not sure since flourescents are ok for that.
Scout

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Sinful
http:///forum/post/2534248
I never thought I needed to change the bulbs if they were still comming on. stupid me I guess huh? well, what does changing the bulbs do and should I change them after a year and a half(year and 3/4 really)
After about 8 months they lose their intensity significantly, 6 months is recomended 8 months is pushing it. You will see your corals come to life when you change them. You will also most likley see an algea or diatom bloom too, its common when you change your lights.

spanko

Here is something from a fish tank guide that may help you some.
If you are only keeping fish in your aquariums, you only need to replace your light bulbs when they burn out, and this varies from bulb to bulb. If you are using N.O. fluorescent lights, you should replace the starter each time a bulb burns out, as often a burnt out bulb burns out the starter as well. If you are raising live plants or corals, you should replace your N.O. fluorescent lights every 5-7 months, because the intensity of the light begins to fade and it looses its helpfulness to the plants or animals that need it. You may not see this difference until you replace the bulb, but it certainly makes a difference to the plants or animals that depend on it! If you are doing this, remember to replace the starter(s) at least once a year. If you are using power compact or V.H.O. fluorescent lights, you should replace the bulbs about once a year, or whenever the bulb burns out. These bulbs are better able to maintain their spectrum over time, and do not degrade as fast as N.O. fluorescent bulbs. Metal halide bulbs should be replaced every 8-12 months. When changing M.H. or V.H.O. bulbs, remember to check the ballasts to see that they are working well and are not overheating or showing any other signs of wear. If there are signs of wear or other problems with the ballasts, they should be replaced at the same time.

sinful

what are the stock biocube lights? all I know is 1 is actinic and other is 10k both 24w. I'm going to add the 3rd row though and can't find anything on nano tuners to replace my existing lights...would like to get it all ordered at once.
I am keeping corals, just added them a couple months ago actually. I have yuma's, zoo's and xenia. Do you think I would notice a big difference in adding the diy 3rd light kit from tuners along with 2 new bulbs?

chromiumlux

Hello Sinful
I'm rather new to this board. Thought I'd say hi. I installed the 3.24 upgrade from nano tuners. Makes a big difference in my opinion. Went with the 50/50 bulb for the add on. Not sure if Nano Tuners carries stock bulbs for BC14, But I'm sure if you call Nick he will get you set up with what you need. Also, Dr. Foster and Smith--go to aquariums and click on Biocube. They list some BC replacement bulbs there also.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Sinful
http:///forum/post/2534571
what are the stock biocube lights? all I know is 1 is actinic and other is 10k both 24w. I'm going to add the 3rd row though and can't find anything on nano tuners to replace my existing lights...would like to get it all ordered at once.
I am keeping corals, just added them a couple months ago actually. I have yuma's, zoo's and xenia. Do you think I would notice a big difference in adding the diy 3rd light kit from tuners along with 2 new bulbs?
If its the "BioCube" they are straight pin PC Lights, one 10k daylight one 460nm Actinic. Nano Customs and Nano Tuners both have upgrades for the lights in 2 different wattages. I was going to head in that direction for my 29 gal cube but decided to put HO-T5's on it in stead and run an open top.