150 Gal Disaster (fish Only)

john franklin

MY NEIBOR SAW MY TANK AND DECIDED TO BUILD A BIGGER ONE.
HE USED 2 BIG FLUVALS,HEATER,9 V UV, AND BERLIN CLASSIC HANG ON. IN HIS FLUVALS HE USED BIO BALLS IN ONE AND MEDIA IN THE OTHER.
HE IS TOO BUSY TO TAKE CARE OF THIS MARGINAL SYSTEM- HE MUST OF WENT THRU 15 NICE FISH- JUST TO KILL THEM SLOWLY- I HAVE SAVED A FEW AND PUT THEM IN MY QUARANTINE TANK WERE THEY ARE FINE.
MY ADVICE TO HIM WAS THIS- CLEAN OUT COMPLETELY.
ADD 5" OF LIVE SAND AND 100 LBS OF LIVE ROCK
LET CYCLE AND ADD SLOWLY FISH OR INVERTS. GET RID OF FLUVALS AND USE A BIG WET DRY REFUGIUM WITH BIO BALLS AND PRE FILTERS
ANY OTHER IDEAS ON LOW MAINT. SYSTEMS WOULD BE APPRICIATED
:( :(

wamp

Hi John,
Glad to see you here with us...
You told him right, the more redundant the filtration the better. Monthly water changes are still a must and a good glass cleaning will need to be done often.
The filtration will only go up to meet the bioload of the tank. Meaning, they are directly proportional. One goes up, the other slowly goes up. One goes down so does the other. You have to allow time for them to adjust. The more filtration the better, kinda a safety net, but still needs time to react.
Also, I would add another suggestion. A LONG cycle. The longer the better. Add fish VERY slowly to the new system and quarantine all fish added to the system. Minium 2 weeks for observation.
Good Luck, don't forget when I'm out there you owe me a tour.
Wamp
aka: Wes