150G Stock List - Returning to hobby need some help

ryanhayes9

So I have been away from the salt water aquarium hobby for a few years now, but recently have come across a 150G tank with stand and hood for very cheap. Therefor, I have decided to make it another Saltwater setup. I know about cycling, RO/DI filtration, Salinity and chemical levels as I used to have an SPS reef. This time around I have decided to go with Fish Only. I have come up with a stock list and have followed a compatibility chart, but wanted to come here to get more opinions. Here is the list
1 Emperor Angelfish
1 Dog Face Puffer
1 Undulate Trigger
1 Red Flag Grouper
1 Naso Tang
I would love to have some more fish but I feel that with this number of large fish and there heavy Bio load, I am right around max. I really want to end up keeping the Emperor Angelfish as I have liked this type of angel ever since I got into Salt Water many years ago and have always wanted an adult. So if the list needs to change to accommodate for him, then please feel free to change it. I am also open to suggestions on other fish to add, or if you think I can add more to the current list or have to many.
I really appreciate the help everyone!
Daniel

aquaknight

Well... The Dogface is a good choice The rest, well....
The most glaring problem is the Undulate trigger. They are 99% of the time is extremely aggressive, and will kill tankmates. People who keep Undulated do so in a species only tank, where they are the only fish. Definitely scratch him off the list. The Emperor and Naso are in the same boat. If you purchased smaller "juvies", they will be okay in that tank for a bit, but will need a larger tank. Something like an 8-footer with some depth to it. If you plan on purchasing larger adults, the tank is too smaller for either.
The Red Flag Grouper isn't a terrible choice. They sometimes can be a little aggressive, most notably at feedings. They can and might eat everything you try and dump in. If you want a grouper, I would strongly encourage you to hand-feed the fish (either literally with your hand, or tongs, skewer, etc), so you can feed everyone.
A revised list, sticking to similar fish to your original list.
1 Dog Face Puffer
1 Red Flag Grouper
1 Doctorfish (Acanthurus chirurgus)
1 Pinktail Trigger
1 Six-Banded Angelfish (Pomacanthus sextriatus
)*
* You can do an Emp. instead if you plan on upgrading down the road.
This is more of an oddball, off-the-wall list I think is interesting.
1 - Lei Trigger (Sufflamen Bursa)
1 - Blueline Grouper
2 - Striped Soldierfish
1 - Scribbled Angelfish
1 - Porkfish

ryanhayes9

Thanks for the reply!
I really like some of the fish you suggested. Especially the blueline grouper and Pinktail Trigger. I understand what you are saying about the Trigger that I wanted and decided to cut him from the list. I ended up revising my fish list and here is the most current list.
1 Emperor Angelfish
1 Dogface Puffer
1 Pinktail Triggerfish
1 Blueline Grouper
I would like to be able to fill the final spot with either a nice tang or a wrasse of some sort. I would like to keep the tank very colorful, as the fish are going to be the main point. I am thinking about the Powder Brown Tang, Chiseltooth Wrasse or the Red coris wrasse. I really like the Porkfish you suggested, but am not sure if there is too many large inhabitants with him as the final fish.

aquaknight

Post some info of your setup. Sump size? What skimmer? Refugium? Other filtration? It will help give an idea of the bioload your tank is capable of.
But yea, the grouper and puffer certainly will put a decent bioload on the tank. The trouble with a wrasse perhaps will be the grouper. You could say get a smaller Red Coris, and then upgrade him to the same tank when the Emperor goes too, but there is a risk of the grouper eating one of it's too small.
What about a Harlequin Tusk as the 5th fish?

ryanhayes9

Yeah the Tusk is not a bad choice. I might have to add him to the list!
I think that the sump will be 75G. I have a Coralife 125 Skimmer which I will need to upgrade when I get more fish, as it is undersized for the tank. There will also be a refugium and a UV sterilizer rated for up to 300G.
The seller said that he has a good canister filter he will throw in, but I am considering just a wet dry instead. I have never had a sump of wet dry before so I am guessing it will be a bit of a challenge.
You think the Porkfish would be too much?

aquaknight

That's sounds like quite the filtration system. Yea, definitely gonna need a better skimmer. I would ditch the canister filter. For tanks that are larger, no real use, other then running media, which is done better with a phosban reactor instead.
With that filtration, and a promise you will do adequate water changes
you could probably do the Porkfish.

ryanhayes9

nice! Yeah I really liked the porkfish, I was hoping that I would be able to get one after all. Hopefully the list is set then.
1 Emperor Angelfish
1 Dogface Puffer
1 Pinktail Triggerfish
1 Blueline Grouper
1 Porkfish