175 MH on a 250 Ballast

javatech

im installing a 250 on my tank but i dont have a light bulb yet for it. i do have an extra 175 will this work on a 250 Ballast or will it blow it i would think it would work becuse won't the ballest just put out what ever the bulb is eg. 175 watts or does the ballest push out the whole 250 watts nomater what the bulb is :confused:
thanks for any help
jim

fender

No. A 175w works on a 175w ballast and a 250w works on a 250w ballast. The bulb would most likely burn out very quickly if not instantly. The ballast doesn't know or care what is on the other end. It will drive the 175 just like it would a 250.

eric4usa

I've heard that the ballast will provide whatever wattage is being drained from it and that larger ballasts will run smaller bulbs like a 400w ballast could run a 250w bulb.
Vice-versa, if you have a 400w bulb on a 175w ballast, the ballast will try to provide 400w and burn out.
I am not 100% sure though and would like to know if anyone's tried it also.

zippy

I believe the ballast provides a constant output, say 400 watts. Anything smaller cannot handle that much current. A 250 watt ballast won't have enough juice to fire a 400 watt bulb. Since it has a filament you are restricted.
IceCap ballasts can fire NO flourescent bulbs because they are electronic and fire the gases differently than magnetic ballasts which fire a constant current.
So the theory will not cross types of lighting from flourescent to MH.