175 watt metal halide

slosurfer

How would a 175 watt metal halide setup be over a 36 gallon reef tank? would that be enough output for most corals?

neowind

Yea you should be able to keep about anything with that size tank and that lighting. If you go clams or sps keep them at the top of the tank.

K

kistheeze

what are the dimensions of the 36 gallon? I'm not familiar with it.

saltcreep

I am under the impression that u need close to 10WPG for clams. I am no expert here however, just a caution.

K

kistheeze

forget WPG - just forget it..... Literally it's meaningless.
Kinda like measuring how fast a car is on how big the engine is - too many other factors for that equation to work.

slosurfer

what are the dimensions of the 36 gallon? I'm not familiar with it.
it is 30 inches long, 20 inches high and the width is between 11 and 15 inches depending where you are measuring from the bow front

K

kistheeze

just as an FYI. MH lighting is pretty much effective for about a 24" area. The edges might be a little dim.

saltcreep

you will def be happy with the mh. It seems clams should be ok also. did you pick a brand? are you going with 10k or 20k

saltcreep

I have 2 x 175w XM 10k, and sup them with 220 VHO to make em a bit more blue. They are a tad yellow. A lot of people out here like the 20k. These have more blue to them. if you go with the 10k, you may need to add some VHO or PC to enhance the color.