180 gallon tank - ordered

fishinchick

Okay so I want to get this right from the start!! I ordered my 180 gallon reef tank today! :)
I am going to NOT put in an undrgravel filter this time.
I saw a discussion recently about substrates but I didnt see that the formula is. I would like CC on the very bottom, just a little bit, then aragonite, then live sand on top. Is this going to be okay? What depths should I make each layer and what is the formula I need for figuring out how much I need?
Also I am going to be running a Venturi protein skimmer, and a wet/dry, and 150-200 lbs of rock. How much of the rock has to be live? Can I get away with some of it being live and some of it not?
I am open to suggestions and any "watch out for this" warnings and advice that you can all offer. I have worked for a LS store for a long time but I never know enough and someone always has some interesting insight.
Ideas? Thank You!! :D

krazzydart

Sorry if this might upset you< > , but do you know what you are doing????? is it gonna be a reef,FO, or combo????? is it pre-drilled????what type of filtration is it going to have????? as for the substrate,,,you can use what you want.... on a tank that size you can go from a crushed coral on one side(the little critters love this)to a deep sand bed on the other from 2 - 4 inches or even 6 inches deep. if you do this be sure to get your base rock in first... so your other stuff does not shift later causing a crack in your tank(ouch) ,,, Go slow with it and enjoy..... sorry if I upset you!!!!

flydan

Hey,
I think JWT answered your question pretty well. I would just like to add that "if" you decide to put the cc down and then add ls on top, it wont stay that way. The cc will eventually find its way to the top. Just thought you should know that little tid-bit.
Take care,
Dan'l :D

fishinchick

You guys have been incredibly helpful. Its going to be a reef tank. I have a 35 currently that I have been incredibly successful with. I know its smaller than what I should have used but I did work at a LFS for several years and my job was taking care of the Salt Water section (which in my time working there reduced stock loss by 75%). I didnt want to get into the hobby until I could totally afford to take care of my new friends properly. Dont wanna do it half - well, ya know.
I do not remember the brand of the tank at this second although its guaranteed and the LFS that I have been using (that has never steered me wrong) highly reccommended it. It IS predrilled with a prefilter, the aquarium is glass. The LFS has one just like it set up as a reef tank and it is doing very well. For filtering I am definitely planning on wet/dry and possibly 2 protein skimmers, sand, rocks (TY for the sand advice CC is out). I WAS told at one point by another LFS that canister filters are no longer necessary (?) I am not comfortable with this thought (ideas on this anyone). As for brand names of what filter, what wet/dry I am still researching. I do not plan to have the tank near running for several weeks as I want to do this one time and do it right. Even if I have to wait to put out a little extra cash to ensure getting it right. :cool:
Once again thanks for all the info, I am really glad I tripped on this site!!

flydan

Hey,
Canister filters are not manditory. (You can do a search at the top of this screen on the "Berlin" system.) A lot of people, me included, use one so I can use carbon once in a while to scrub my water and to add some more surface water movement, which is important in a reef tank. It's not a "must have" item when you use a protein skimmer and lots of LR/DSB for filtration. HTH
Take care,
Dan'l :D