1800 gallon diy

sharkboy97

I have started construction on my shark tank which i have planned for a long time i had a contractor come in and reinforce under where my tank is gonna be on my second floor so it can be in my bed room so what i wanted is to not only get help on ideas for pluming but to see if you agree with my filtration ideas and i have set a side $10,000 dollars for this tank which i might add was a lot of mowwed lawns and preassure washed driveways. so i have started a foundation built of 2 by 4s and the tanks deminsions are 10' l 6' w 4'h the length sides will be built out of a 9 foot by 42 " plexiglass and the rest will have marine grade plywood reinforced with 2 by 4s and then covered with 2 layers of pond liners and the coners will be rounded to half circles then what i wanted to do was try to get it where nonne of the filtration is seen so i had the floor ripped up to a closet where all the filtration will be keptso i would like some ideas of how to get the water to the filtration room without having like overflows everywhere. Heres a list of my planned filtration
2 Euroreef cs12-6 recirculating protien skimmers rated for 800gallons +
current usa gamma uv sterilizer 40 watts
2 cpr cr3000 wetdry filter
pentair aquatics fluidized bed filter fb 900
all of this has been ordered and i am awaiting its arival
so i would like i deas of how to plumb all this into the tank and how to keep it unseen i origanilly planned a strong jaccuzi pump to return it to the tank and create a spray bar around the tank instead of powerheads
now for the interesting part i would like to keep 2 bonnethead sharks in the tank temporarily till i plan and complete my 14,000 gallon shark tank. aquiring the sharks is not a problem niether is the transpertation my ? is how would they do and what else could be with them

sharkboy97

the 14,000 has only been on paper so far and pictures in my mind so right now reguiem still has everyone beat except risc but ive never seen a picture of his tank

thegrog

Please don't tell me you are going to have the tank stocked with sharks that have friggin laser beams strapped to their heads!!!

If you have them, please let me know your source as all I can find are distempered mutant seabass.

cowfishrule

did i read this right? this is going on your second floor?
water is approx 10# per gallon.
if your putting that on your 2nd floor, thats the same as parking a ford explorer in your bedroom. becareful with that weight

cowfishrule

i second this...
if this 1800g tank is a temp until you build your own ocean, why dont you just skip the temp tank and concentrate on your big one? you said getting the sharks was no problem. also, the cost savings could go towards your big tank

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Sharkboy97
I have started construction on my shark tank which i have planned for a long time i had a contractor come in and reinforce under where my tank is gonna be on my second floor so it can be in my bed room so what i wanted is to not only get help on ideas for pluming but to see if you agree with my filtration ideas and i have set a side $10,000 dollars for this tank which i might add was a lot of mowwed lawns and preassure washed driveways. so i have started a foundation built of 2 by 4s and the tanks deminsions are 10' l 6' w 4'h the length sides will be built out of a 9 foot by 42 " plexiglass and the rest will have marine grade plywood reinforced with 2 by 4s and then covered with 2 layers of pond liners and the coners will be rounded to half circles then what i wanted to do was try to get it where nonne of the filtration is seen so i had the floor ripped up to a closet where all the filtration will be keptso i would like some ideas of how to get the water to the filtration room without having like overflows everywhere. Heres a list of my planned filtration
2 Euroreef cs12-6 recirculating protien skimmers rated for 800gallons +
current usa gamma uv sterilizer 40 watts
2 cpr cr3000 wetdry filter
pentair aquatics fluidized bed filter fb 900
all of this has been ordered and i am awaiting its arival
so i would like i deas of how to plumb all this into the tank and how to keep it unseen i origanilly planned a strong jaccuzi pump to return it to the tank and create a spray bar around the tank instead of powerheads
now for the interesting part i would like to keep 2 bonnethead sharks in the tank temporarily till i plan and complete my 14,000 gallon shark tank. aquiring the sharks is not a problem niether is the transpertation my ? is how would they do and what else could be with them
You're gonna need a lot more than that for the bio load i'd think...
I'd say run 3 skimmers, make sure you have atleast 10x water movement...so that'd be 18,000gph

glowinafus

I am wanting to build something similar. But I was wondering how you are gonna attach the acrylic front/sides, to the wood.
I beleive I will have my sizes ready in a week or so. Then I want to start on it.
Any advice, sites, etc... is appreciated...
Glowinafuse

mhoup

Sharkboy...That is going to be a very cool tank, I am having something similar built in the house we are building. Please keep us posted as I am definatly interested in your filtration and how everything will pan out for ya'. I was wondering if you could use some type of waterleveler with tanks that size, similar to what they use on swimming pools our here in the desert? What size qt are you going to have?

bwilson

I’m no expert here however I do know some (enough to be dangerous) about construction. I also know about insurance. Water is 8.345 lbs that’s 15,021lbs I don’t know how many square feet your tank will take but make sure you spread the load! Don’t have the load only rest in its footprint. You could get kind of creative and put the tank on a large pedestal of sort so you would walk up a stair to access the tank. (kind of like a fire place) Also if I were you I would talk to my insurance company and insure that you are covered in the event something happens. Provided that you are careful you should have no issues with it however if it broke or you got a leak it could be costly if not insured.
Also as a pervious poster stated its not like parking a ford explorer. Its like parking TWO FORD EXPITIOIONS! (Curb weight of just over 6600 per car).

Anyhow please post pictures of your progress!
BW

scsinet

This thread is almost 3 years old people.
The member was 14 or 15 years old at the time he wrote it, which makes the story very unlikely, and the member hasn't even been online here in over 8 months.
Let this thread go back to the grave by not posting in it.