1st Time SW Build - 75 Gallon Mixed Reef

frostslasher

Hi Folks,
Pleasure to be here on SWF. As the title suggest, I've begun to build my first saltwater tank. Until recently, I had a 30 gallon freshwater (mostly African Cichlids) tank. Since moving, I no longer have that tank and thought I'd try my hand at saltwater. I've lurked around SWF and RC for a few weeks now and feel confident getting started on my build. I still have a lot to learn, but because I know how long and patient I must be to get started (built, cycled, quarantined, etc.) I thought I'd get going on getting all the necessary equipment together and the tank cycled. So please join me in getting my first build together, and all advise and guidance is greatly appreciated!
The tank I purchased was from my LFS, Fairmount Aquarium in Syracuse, NY. It's a new 75 gallon Aqueon (All Glass) with a 1.75" and 1.5" inch pre-drilled overflow, or megaflow as I believe they call it (Pictures below). I didn't like the height or look of the manufacturer stand for the tank, so I decided to build my own. I'm certainly not a carpenter, but thought I had enough skill to make a stand to get started. It isn't the best looking stand that I can build, but I was going for quick and structurally sound. Here's a few pictures of the build, all taken on an iPhone:

Frame, constructed out of 4x4 posts on the corners, and 2x6's. I realize that this is probably overkill.

With 3/4" plywood top on and 1/4" maple plywood.

It's level!

After primer and 1 coat of black paint. I used Benjamin Moore Advanced furniture paint. Trim is all 3/4" maple, as well as the doors.

After 2 coats with no polyurethane.

The finished stand and tank where it will be setup.
I went ahead this weekend and ordered a majority of the larger pieces of equipment that I'll be using. What will be arriving in the next week or so:
- Protein Skimmer: Vertex Omega 150 (Received today, below)
- Lighting: 2 Kessil 350N with Gooseneck attachments
- Return pump: Laguna Max-Flo 1500 with stand
- Spectrapure RO/DI system
- Powerhead: 1 Jebao WP-40
- Blue Life Black Background
- A few bulkheads and plumbing supplies
Items left to be ordered:
- Heater: 1 Eheim Jager 300W (may order a 2nd or smaller watt for backup)
- Live Rock: 75-80 pounds of BRS Fiji Dry Live Rock
- Substrate: 50 pounds of CaribSea Special Grade Aragonite
- Additional plumbing supplies for return/overflow
- Eggcrate to hold sand/LR in place
- Testing Kits & Additives
- Salt Mix
- Possibly an Apex or Reefkeeper controller to get started. If not immediately, definitely within the first few months.
The overflow will be setup using a herbie system, with the main drain on a gate-valved 1.5" overflow, and the emergency drain on a 1". For the return, I'll be running a 1/2" or 3/4" PVC split behind the DT and coming over the back with loc-line on the left and right corners to maximize flow (and make good use of 1500 gph - headloss).

(You can see where I cut corners on the inside of the stand. I have a bottom panel for the tank, only put the sump/skimmer in there temporarily for size reference)
My objective in ordering the equipment that I did is to achieve minimum sound. The tank is going in a bedroom, so quietness is paramount. I've read many reviews and heard great things about all of the above, but need some help in selecting the last few items to be ordered. I'm leaning toward Instant Ocean for salt mix, and Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Testkit (Ca, Alk, Mg), but need some help deciding, as well as checkers (Hanna?).
I was originally planning on getting a larger 30 gallon long tank as a sump, and splitting it skimmer/fuge/return, but since then have decided to ditch the refugium and use a 20 gallon tall sump. Since this is my first build I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up and maintaining a refugium, and for what little they add in terms of benefit, if any. The additional space under my stand will allow me to eventually incorporate an ATO system with a 10-15 gallon reservoir, and if needed, an algae scrubber in place of the fuge. I've got another 20 gallon tall tank to use as a maintenance/emergency quarantine
/>
Lastly, some information on what I'd like to actually put in the DT. After all the live rock and sand are in, and the tank is cycled, I'm going to start with cerith snails, strombus graser snails, scarlet hermits, and bristleworms for CUC. I'd like to eventually add a shrimp and nassarius. For corals, I'm looking at going mostly LPS, with maybe a few SPS and soft corals mixed in. From what I understand, soft corals and SPS don't mix well, so I may ditch the soft corals. I enjoy watching corals that move (torch, elegance, frog/hammerspawn) so I'd like to mostly go with those. Plus, I should have really good circulation within the DT to support the LPS.
For fish I'd like to go with (tank bred if available):
- A pair of clownfish
- Dwarf Flame Angelfish
- Yellow Tang
- Six Line Wrasse
- Purple dottyback
- Kaudern's Cardinal
- Possibly a few gobies or more dottybacks
That's all for now folks. Thanks for reading and sharing your advice in advance. I'll be sure to continually update my build as things continue to come in and I start to cycle the tank.

frostslasher

It was close to $300, which is about the price of buying a stand. I made a few mistakes and spent more on maple, so it should have been closer to $150-200 if I had to do it again. If you're going to paint a stand, use a simple wood like poplar. If you're going to stain it, I'd recommend something porous like oak.
Hope this helps.

frostslasher

Just got an e-mail from SoCal Tropical saying they are out of stock on the Laguna Max-Flo 1500, which leaves me to re-evaluate having that powerful of a pump. Should I A) Re-order the 1500 from another vendor B) Downgrade to the 1350 C) Downgrade further to the 900? With a 1.5" drain, I'm capable of overflowing 1000-1200 GPH unrestricted, although I don't think I should be doing that much for a 75 gallon tank.

sweatervest13

Hi and Welcome!!
Real nice job so far. You have done your research. Not a ton of advice to offer. Other than keep researching.
As for your sump. I would always want the biggest sump I can get, but a 20 should work just fine. If there is a chance it would fit and give you the room for all the other equipment, I would see if a 29g would fit and add the fuge. I think that there are some great benefits with running a successful one.
For the return pump (not familiar with the model you have on your list {too lazy to google right now, lol}) I am sure a mag 9.5 would work just fine. You could even go up a size and be okay.
Do you have a little QT system planned (you mentioned quarantine in your OP)?

frostslasher

Thank you! I have room for a 30 gallon sump, but I've read a lot lately that fuge's in a 30 gallon sump aren't really necessary or beneficial. I think all I'd add in there is chaeto and some sand. Still undecided but I need to decide soon.
I plan on having an extra 20 gallon setup to quarantine new fish for 4-6 weeks or use it as an emergency tank when necessary.

snakeblitz33

Who says fuges arent beneficial? My tank currently runs on a fuge. Most of my other tanks have been fuge only tanks. So,... Why is a fuge not beneficial?
Id also go with the larger sump. I use a 20g long and because of the water depth i need for my equipment my sump almost overflows with my mag9.5 pump on full. If your going to use a pump that pumps more than 950gph you may have to upgrade your sump size anyway to make enough room for runoff. Besides that, its unnecessary to run that much water through a sump anyways. No time to process waste.
In any case, looking good. Keep up the research and take everything with a grain of salt.

frostslasher

Hi Snake,
I probably worded that poor. It's not that fuge's aren't beneficial, but I've been reading that they wouldn't big much of an impact on the size that I'd be available to work with. I'm thinking I should upgrade the sump to a 30 gallon, but that would mean the fuge would be 5-10 gallons. I guess I'd fill it with chaeto and maybe a 1" or 2 of sand? I suppose more than anything I wouldn't want to maintain it. Also, not sure if it would have any effect on detritus buildup.
I think I'll look at getting the max-flo 1350. With split return and headloss, it should be around 900-1000.

snakeblitz33

Hi again,
All that is cleaning my tank right now is a 5g fuge on my 75g tank. My skimmer has been off for a little while now. I use Caulerpa racemosa and C. mexicana, not chaeto. Never had success with chaeto. It would fall apart on me.
Its a saltwater tank, you have to maintain it. Removing detritus, harvesting macroalgae, water changes, water testing and adjusting, skimmer cleaning, and observations are all just a part of the hobby. Dont fool yourself into thinkin that neat little gizmos will help you avoid any real maintenance. Just my .02

frostslasher

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the lack of updates. I was in Connecticut all week for work and couldn't work on the tank. Fortunately though, I did receive some packages with the last few items while I was away. I decided to get a Tunze Silence 1073.05 for my return pump, and my Jebao WP40 arrived from Hong Kong as well. The last thing that I need that I ordered yesterday was some male adapters for the locline. At the top of the tank on the left and right you can see the 2 3/4" PVCreturn lines (not a very good picture - sorry!). I completed the aquascape today, cleaned and sifted the sand well, and am now starting to put the RO/DIwater in. I'm mixing the salt in (Instant Ocean) 5 gallon buckets and have a 250GPH sub-pump mixing it. Hopefully by the end of the night I'll have half the tank filled.
Even though I'm still building the sump (hoping to get the glass cut and siliconed tomorrow), I'm filling up the tank almost all the way to get my WP40 working and begin to cycle the tank. I'm planning on cycling the tank for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, and will order a CUC package from Reef Cleaners on week 2 or 3 when ammonia and nitrates are at or near zero. After that, I'll probably start by picking up or ordering a pair of clowns and a few hardy and easy to care-for corals.