2 angels

skipperdz

not a good idea. angels do best by themselves. its like adding a 3rd clown. may be ok for a while but one will usually get beat up and pulled from the tank

hwttdz1

Going along with this at what size would it be ok to keep two dwarf angels? I assume in a 8 foot long tank they might not interact with each other enough to get beat up, or if they didn't get along, at least they have room to get away from each other.
Is there some sort of rule for species which say do not keep with like type, such as the royal gramma, as to how many times the minimum tank size for a single individual is needed for two individuals? I hope that makes sense.

browniebuck

I know that it isn't encouraged, but I have had an eibli angel along with a keyhole angel in my 55 gallon for over 6 months now. These two angels get along fine, they get more harassed by my maroon clown than by each other. I had the eibli first, then added the keyhole later (my wife picked it up without me). I moved every single piece of equipment and rock in the tank around before adding the keyhole (to eliminate established territory). The first night, I thought I was going to have to get the keyhole out of there, as they were chasing each other quite a bit. By the next day, the chasing had slowed quite a bit. After a week, they were more or less ignoring each other and cohabitating very well.
Again, I know it isn't encouraged, but it isn't impossible.

pontius

there are 2 families of "dwarf" angels: the Centropyge family and the Chaetodontoplus family. you could keep 1 of each family in a 75 gallon without any problems whatsoever. these 2 different families of angels are shaped different enough that I honestly don't believe they recognize each other as being angelfish. I've kept them together and they respond to each other no different than they'd respond to a tang.
here are the combos I've kept:
*in my current 180 gallon, I have a coral beauty, flame angel, and herald's angel (all of the Centropyge family) and I've had no problems at all. I've had them together for close to a year.
*in a 115 gallon, I had a flame angel and coral beauty (Centropyge) and Indian Yellow Tail (Chaetodontoplus) without any problem. the IYT angel eventually died and I replaced it with a bluespot angel (Chaetodontoplus), and again the flame and coral beauty did not recognize it as anything out of the ordinary.
*in a 72 gallon, I had a flame and coral beauty (again, Centropyge). in this case, there WERE a few problems, but it never resulted in anything more than a little chasing each other around. and after both got settled, they seemed to calm down a bit. the coral beauty had been in the tank almost a year and a half before the flame was introduced but it was the flame who turned out to be more aggresive.
however, despite my good experiences, I personally wouldn't recommend 2 Centropyes or 2 Chaetodontoplus in a 75 gallon. but I DO think you be perfectly fine with 1 of each. but take my advice though....with the Chaetodontoplus angels, I've found they are as ich prone as some tangs. I would not recommend getting one unless you QT with hyposalinity. both the Chaetodontoplus I had got ich soon after being introduced to the tank. if you have read up on them, they have a reputation as being very hardy, but that's not true in my experience.

N

nereef

good advise from pontius. a vermiculated angel and a flame would make two really nice show fish.

lesleybird

I had a flame angel and a lemonpeel angel in a 90 gallon that got along fine but I put them in at the same time and they really don't look alike at all.

fishfatty

I was going to do a flame and an african flameback or Lamarck's Angelfish. What do you think about this?

ice4ice

Originally Posted by Pontius
there are 2 families of "dwarf" angels: the Centropyge family and the Chaetodontoplus family. you could keep 1 of each family in a 75 gallon without any problems whatsoever. these 2 different families of angels are shaped different enough that I honestly don't believe they recognize each other as being angelfish. I've kept them together and they respond to each other no different than they'd respond to a tang.
here are the combos I've kept:
*in my current 180 gallon, I have a coral beauty, flame angel, and herald's angel (all of the Centropyge family) and I've had no problems at all. I've had them together for close to a year.
*in a 115 gallon, I had a flame angel and coral beauty (Centropyge) and Indian Yellow Tail (Chaetodontoplus) without any problem. the IYT angel eventually died and I replaced it with a bluespot angel (Chaetodontoplus), and again the flame and coral beauty did not recognize it as anything out of the ordinary.
*in a 72 gallon, I had a flame and coral beauty (again, Centropyge). in this case, there WERE a few problems, but it never resulted in anything more than a little chasing each other around. and after both got settled, they seemed to calm down a bit. the coral beauty had been in the tank almost a year and a half before the flame was introduced but it was the flame who turned out to be more aggresive.
however, despite my good experiences, I personally wouldn't recommend 2 Centropyes or 2 Chaetodontoplus in a 75 gallon. but I DO think you be perfectly fine with 1 of each. but take my advice though....with the Chaetodontoplus angels, I've found they are as ich prone as some tangs. I would not recommend getting one unless you QT with hyposalinity. both the Chaetodontoplus I had got ich soon after being introduced to the tank. if you have read up on them, they have a reputation as being very hardy, but that's not true in my experience.

WOW !! Very interesting observation ...

N

nereef

if you mean Centropyge acanthops as the flameback, than i wouldn't mix it with a flame angel. they are both of the same genus and your success probability would drop. the lamark would be okay, but imo they get a little large for a 75.

hwttdz1

Wow, Pontius, I was just asking out of curiosity, but that was incredibly enlightening. For my dream tank (which will never happen) I think I'll have a flame angel and a potter's angel (both centrygope, but hopefully enough space) in a 180.

pontius

Originally Posted by FishFatty
what kind of reef safe angels fit under the category Chaetodontoplus? I cant really find any
pretty much ALL angels should be observed closely with corals. I've never had any angel that messed with my corals (but I only have maybe 5 or 6 different corals). the Chaetodontoplus angels that I've read up on all eat primarily sponges. you can buy frozen cubed sponge for angels. however, with both the Chaetodontoplus angels that I kept, they were slow to eat. if you read up on them, they have a reputation as being very hardy, but as I stated before, that's not the impression I got. the ones I had (the Indian Yellowtail and the Bluespot) were VERY pretty (they look and are shaped like the large angels, except smaller) but they were not as hardy as the Centropyge angels imo.

pontius

Originally Posted by hwttdz1
Wow, Pontius, I was just asking out of curiosity, but that was incredibly enlightening. For my dream tank (which will never happen) I think I'll have a flame angel and a potter's angel (both centrygope, but hopefully enough space) in a 180.
yeah, you'd be safe with that imo. the potter's angels are gorgeous when they are grown. my lfs had 2 full grown BEAUTIFUL potter's when I was getting ready to buy. but it came down to one of them or the flame because I already had a coral beauty and the herald's and I didn't want to press my luck. I'd already had a flame angel before and liked it's personality, so I went with the flame. but I like those potter's angels, their colors sparkle when they are well taken care of.

pontius

Originally Posted by FishFatty
I was going to do a flame and an african flameback or Lamarck's Angelfish. What do you think about this?
I've never kept a Lamarck, but I think they'd be safe with pretty much anything. I don't know if they're technically considered "dwarf", but they don't get big (there are several angels that aren't considered dwarfs but also don't grow over 5-6 inches).
I think with the flame and the flameback, you'd definitely be pressing your luck.

J

jesses89

Lamarcks will not touch your coral. They are zooplanktivores.
from the genus Genicanthus. i believe any angel from this genus is coral safe guaranteed..... you can even put more than one on your tank... as long as you dont put in two males from the same type

fishfatty

well ill probably do the flame then, and a Chaetodontoplus species...I just need some help picking one out....can you help? Thanks!