Is it OK to have 2 blue hipo tangs ina 180 tank
Livestock
2 onyx clowns
1 blue hippo tang 3-4 inches
1 powder brown tang 2-3 inches
1 diamond goby
1 elibi angel
The hippo tang that is in question is about 1.5"
Have about 230 lbs of live rock with plenty of caves and room.

J

jasondean

I've seen 2 in a 1000 gallon and they kill everyother fish that is put in after them. Big and awsome very good looking fish, normally if they get that big there ugly, I think it's due to any stress like ick. If they get ick they don't seem to recover their color. I dont have any to hard to keep healthy for me. These guys are about 10".

saltfan

Originally Posted by dancri
Is it OK to have 2 blue hipo tangs ina 180 tank
Livestock
2 onyx clowns
1 blue hippo tang 3-4 inches
1 powder brown tang 2-3 inches
1 diamond goby
1 elibi angel
The hippo tang that is in question is about 1.5"
Have about 230 lbs of live rock with plenty of caves and room.
No. You don't have enough room for both of them, to much Live Rock limiting space. Trust, its not easy to come by, for a person just looking online here. But they are going to get bigggg, and you must have the available room for them. Move your Live Rock to just 180lbs, then you may have a chance.

dancri

Thanks for your replys I am not going to expose any fish to harm I will stay with current setup maybe add a smaller fish later on.
Thanks to all.

dogstar

IMO, its very possible to keep two Hippos in a 180g but only if you add them at the same time. I think trying to add one when their is already one established is too risky.

unleashed

Originally Posted by Dogstar
IMO, its very possible to keep two Hippos in a 180g but only if you add them at the same time. I think trying to add one when their is already one established is too risky.
this i agree with i have seen one of my LFS house up to 8 in the same tank(150) along with yellows and sailfins or other types of tangs with no problems.if they are close to same size.tangs are schooling fish but become more territorial in numbers less than 3.just remember larger numbers = more food per feedings and lack of feedings can result in high aggressive behavior= fish that are kept well fed tend to show less territorial disputes in my experinces I have 5 tangs (large) and a foxface in a 300 i have found when my fish start showing any signs of stress or aggression with each other feeding them stops all bad behavior amung them(they cant seam to think about anything other than the food) lol
talk about one track minds