2 Important Questions

boggsrj

1. I have had my tank for about a year now and have been running smoothly but the last few months have been fighting to clean some weird algae. Its red and looks like hair on the bottom (assuming red hair algae) but not sure how to control it and what the cause is. I will attach pics.
2. I am planning a move across the country and am curious about how the hell to move my 90g tank. Do I sell my fish and just start over or is it possible to move them. I work for an airline so I thought about shipping them or taking them myself but I can take liquids thru security but I doubt they will let me take boxes of fish. Any thoughts?

boggsrj

BTW I never let my tank get dirty but I wanted to let this grow a bit before I clean so I can post pics to see what to do.

mantisman51

Looks like plain ol red cyano to me. I would put the LR in a plastic bag with a little bit of water and then a styrofoam box in a cardboard box, like SWF sends their stuff in. Same with the live sand/crushed coral and check it in. Then put it all in a rubbermaid tub when you get there with a powerhead until the tank is set up. The fish can be done the same way, but I'd take them as carry on in a small box like the LR and substrate. Seems to me, it all would only be packaged for a half day or so before you could get them into the tub. Of course, I have about $700 in fish and gazillions of $ in coral, so it'd be alot more complicated for me, but if I'm seeing your livestock correctly, it wouldn't be difficult to do the aforementioned.

flower

Cyano is the red stuff...Red X works great. The possible cause is most likely overfeeding, your skimmer isn't doing its job anymore, or the power heads aren't putting out as much flow as they should. Check all these, chemicals cannot make up for good maintenance.
As for the move...Box up the live rock just like the fish stores ship it but get rid of the fish and inverts, start up again after you move. Your tank looks lots newer than a year. At any rate JMO on what to I would do.

florida joe

When using a chemical turn off your protein skimmer, monitor your nitrates and have a water change ready

prk543

If you have a "good" LFS in your area, they might babysit your live stock for a few weeks and ship your animals out to you. I am sure they wouldn't take any liability for your animals but it would give you time to move your tank and get it set back up.