2 Part Dosing Cal / Kh kits ?

the bro

I just ventured into the sps world and have started testing calicum for the first times. Before i was using a calicum+ liquid to adjust cal levels for awhile. I looked into the 2 part Calicum A and Kh B kits, and have bought one. When i first dosed i seen that my Cal. and KH were both down in equal amounts.. "ok a no brainer". I tested my water paramenters today 4 days later and my KH is perfect, but my Cal is needing to be increased. So because i have to dose the 2 part soution together will this raise just my calicum levels and balance with my KH??? Or do i need to dose my good old cal+ and raise lvls to match my KH before dosing A and B???

Thanks in advance for any advise

nikesb

you should be dosing equal parts of calcium and alkalinity everyday. which kit are you using?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bro http:///forum/thread/380145/2-part-dosing-cal-kh-kits#post_3307819
I just ventured into the sps world and have started testing calicum for the first times. Before i was using a calicum+ liquid to adjust cal levels for awhile. I looked into the 2 part Calicum A and Kh B kits, and have bought one. When i first dosed i seen that my Cal. and KH were both down in equal amounts.. "ok a no brainer". I tested my water paramenters today 4 days later and my KH is perfect, but my Cal is needing to be increased. So because i have to dose the 2 part soution together will this raise just my calicum levels and balance with my KH??? Or do i need to dose my good old cal+ and raise lvls to match my KH before dosing A and B???

Thanks in advance for any advise
It would be unusual for Calcium to decrease faster than Alkalinity, not unheard of, just unusual. Typically Alkalinity decreases slightly faster than Calcium.

If true then yes, you want to dose more of the calcium additive to maintain the balance between Calcium and Alkalinity.

Can you post numbers just for curiosity sake?

nikesb

you should be testing day by day to get an idea of how much cal/alk you're using. also, if you have just 1 sps frag in there, you're not gonna need to dose if you're doing weekly water changes

the bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/380145/2-part-dosing-cal-kh-kits#post_3307848
It would be unusual for Calcium to decrease faster than Alkalinity, not unheard of, just unusual. Typically Alkalinity decreases slightly faster than Calcium.

If true then yes, you want to dose more of the calcium additive to maintain the balance between Calcium and Alkalinity.

Can you post numbers just for curiosity sake?
KH - 9kh 161.1 ppm
Cal - 360ppm

the bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/380145/2-part-dosing-cal-kh-kits#post_3307873
you should be testing day by day to get an idea of how much cal/alk you're using. also, if you have just 1 sps frag in there, you're not gonna need to dose if you're doing weekly water changes
Thanks for the reply Nike. Yea thats the idea i just got thrown off by the calicum drop and the alk staying normal after 1 dose of A + B. Trying to figure out how to correct it now. Keep dosing 2 part and hope it evens out... or bring my Cal up without dosing 2 part until hings even out

bang guy

IMO dose your normal amount + a small increase in the Ca++ part. Pure Calcium chloride would also work.

the bro

Quick question about this 2 part stuff, im starting not to like it and thinking about going back to my same routine that gave me no problem. How often can or should this stuff be used? Everyday?